Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubbledragon

I think I goofed

bubbledragon
19 years ago

I ordered some roses from Tiny Petals this week, but it's definately too early for me to do so. I forgot to tell them to hold them.

I picked out Winter Magic, Cinderella, and Quiet Time. They had good prices, and I noticed someone on here had liked them.

In any case, it's getting warmer and sunnier here, but I still don't think I should put them outside yet. (Although, the lows seem to all be getting into the 20's - I could bring 'em inside at night?) What can I do to prepare? Should I pot them up? What will they look like when they come? Anyone from PA (I know there are several) help me out? I may also contact a local rosarian, though they're mostly in the city, I've noticed.

I've read that terra cotta is bad - but I like the look of it. I saw somewhere that you can 'seal' the inside with roofing tar, to keep the water in - would this be acceptable, or should I just get black plastic pots, to keep the heat in?

I've also decided to go with a fungicide and fertilizer, instead of organic methods - at least until I'm more familiar and comfortable with all of this. I don't really want my first experiences to be terrible. Mnerf.

Thanks everyone, I've been simply pouring over the back posts in the fora. You are all wonderful.

~bubbles

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather outlook for the rest of the month in my town

Comments (6)

• cuyahogakid
    19 years ago

Yes, definitely bring them in on the cold nights. Minis are pretty hardy but I donÂt like to expose mine to frost once they are growing. I bring mine in on the cold nights in Cleveland, Ohio.

Having said that; I already have my miniature roses going in the attached garage under three flourescent shop lights getting a jump on the season. I put them out on sunny days even if it is below freezing. I look for melting snow on the patio as the signal that the sun is hot enough to protect them.

When my wild strawberries start to show their very first green leaves in the spring; that is my signal to get my roses awake. I donÂt mind moving them around if it means a longer season.

I also like to move them in and out in the fall.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

I wouldn't put them outside, it's still too early, and they will be small. Call a CR, many of them in your area grow minis.

Don't use terra cotta, they will eventually either disintegrate or break with the temperature changes. I use plastic pots that are terra-cotta colored.

• bubbledragon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Me again.

Well, I got my mini's. Not MY mini's, but another person's order. I was told to keep these as a gift while they ship my real order out. This is kinda exciting, though I think I may have gotten a sick rose.

It's called 'Ruthie' and the main (largest) cane is dead - I think, anyway. I think this because it's completely brown, and if I look close enough the 'bark' is kinda split, and pulled away from the core. The very tip is also white. The other can is only an inch or so, but it appears green, with slight hints of red that I'm told mean new a bit of new growth.

Should I wait it out a week or so, or snip this cane off? Or should I not even bother babying it, and leave the pot to a different rose?

Thanks a lot folks,
    ~bubbles

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Call the vendor and let them know you want a replacement. Save the pot until you get a replacement.

• bubbledragon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nah, I'm not going to raise a fuss over this rose, since I wasn't really supposed to get it anyway - it was 'free.' So I'll take care of it, and if it doesn't do anything, or obviously dies, then I'll just ditch it.

~bubbles

• Desert_Son
    19 years ago

Snip the dead cane down to healthy white tissue if you can find some, or cut it completely down. The reddish-green you're seeing is new growth so I don't think your plant's dead, just maybe had a rough life thus far and now needs a good caretaker.

They say everything happens for a reason, so this "free" rose was supposed to come to you, regardless of the actual circumstances :-)

Minis are not grafted, but grow on their own roots so you'll have new stuff sprouting even where you can't see anything right now. New canes will be shooting up from the roots and out of spots you may think are dead.

Minis are truly amazing in this respect--I got three mail-order twigs last year (6-8" long and about a leaf each) which were so disappointing to behold...but with my usual bullheadedness, I stuck them in the ground and they've grown into a beautiful healthy hedge (each plant now about 2x2') at the front of my raised rosebed. Have faith!

Greg

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner