Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
journorchid

ailing mini in indoor pot

journorchid
17 years ago

Folks:

I admit it: I bought a healthy-looking miniature rose on impulse, at a big box store, because I liked it and the "knowledgeable" staff said they're easy to grow. Three weeks later, I have a very sad rose on my hands.

I repotted the plant (hybrid, cultivar unknown, red blossoms) in a larger pot with what I thought would be quick-draining mix -- half and half miracle gro potting soil and perlite with a dash of vermiculite.

The result: Branches, leaves, and buds drying out, getting crispy, losing viability. It looks like overwatering might on some plants -- though I know nothing about roses. And my moisture meter says it's pretty wet in the middle depth of the pot.

Maybe it's because I potted in a non-porous, glazed pot? Maybe moving it to a clay pot would help?

Maybe I should be worried about root rot and should be repotting to trim those? (Again, I don't know how roses take root trim.)

Maybe the miracle gro potting medium has too much fertilizer? I haven't used additional fertilizer and have been misting the rose but not watering.

So: Having read many posts without finding any directly applicable answers, I throw myself on your mercy: What would you do to save this thing? I feel like I'm probably losing this round of buds as it is, though some of them seem on the cusp of being viable, but I would like to keep the plant alive and (ideally) healthy.

Please let me know what y'all think.

Many thanks,

Dan

Comments (5)