Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennatlanta

Help with ID of grocery store mini (pics)

gardennatlanta
13 years ago

I saw these two minis at the grocery store for $3.99 and knew they needed a good home. The little tags say nothing except they are "hybrid roses".

Can anyone help me with a possible id?

Notice the glossy leaves and the large blooms. I'm thinking a mini-flora. I checked in HMF and the pictures and description of Louisville Lady look close but not exact. Any ideas?

Can you see the little prickles on the tiny stems?

The second rose has big matte dark green leaves. The largest leaves are over 3 inches long and around 2 inches across. The stem where the bloom is is thornless however, it has sharp thorns where the 3 leaves join each other.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks for any ideas you may have. Jeff

Comments (16)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Jeff, most of the minis sold in grocery stores are hybridized by Poulsen Roser in Germany, distributed by Aldershot Greenhouses in Canada. They are usually part of Poulsen's "Parade" series. The roses are usually named "(something) Parade", such as "Cherry Parade".

Is there any additional information on the tag?

Here is a link that might be useful: Poulsen Parade roses

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diane, Thanks for replying.

The tag says, "Victory Rose" on both--they have the exact same tag. It does say "The Bloomrite Brand is a registered trademark of Nurserymen's Exchange, Inc. Half Moon Bay, CA"

The website is www.bloomrite.com. I went there and didn't find any useful information except that I'm thinking it's not a part of the Parade series since the website lists a "Parade Series" and a seperate, "Victory Series".

• phil_schorr
    13 years ago

Victory is one of the groupings of Poulsen Roses. Go to www.PoulsenRoser.com for the Poulsen website. Click on English at the top center, then Products in the dark bar at the very top, then Roses. This will bring up a list of all the classes of Poulsen roses. When you click on any one of them you will get a list with photos of all their current roses in that class. Click on the rose name to get more data on each individual variety. I would try the Victory series, the PatioHit series, and maybe one or two of the others that include smaller roses. Good luck and have fun.

• jackieras2
    13 years ago

Wow, Phil Schorr,that is great info. I too recently purchased two roses from a grocery store. They were too gorgeous to pass by. They are Poulsen and are Patiohit, so with the info you have given us to use I can now find out their names. Thanks so much.

• debbiep_gw
    13 years ago

The second rose that is ivory/off white color looks like the Parade rose Denise.I say that because I just purchased one myself and it had the tag in it.

• mm_glaser_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I bought two victory rose plants home from the grocery store last week---both had beautiful nearly open buds of deep fucsia. One proceeded to open and bloom---just gorgeous. The other plant's buds just became frozen in time---never opened, and eventually fell off. Yet the plant itself is sending out new shoots---more than the flowering one. Both plants are in equivalent spots about 2 1/2 feet apart---I've even switched them from time to time to give them equal advantage. Anyone got any ideas on what the difference is, and what I can do to coax the other plant to bloom instead of expand? Thanks.

• flointexas
    12 years ago

Jeff, I forgot to mention when I posted earlier that of my six pots only one had the dark shiny leaves the rest look just like any rose. When I mentioned it to the lady in the floral department, she said it could have been sprayed with some oil based spray for disease or insect. They are checked by the agriculture department at some point of transportation.

• carolbreit
    12 years ago

Hi - New on board. I have a collection of mini roses. Recently learning names of them. I seem to have best luck with Victory Mini Rose- but want one in Red. Have the other colors. Live in Md./D.C. area. Only colors I see at local shops are light pink, yellow, and a dark pink. Any suggestions? Does the Victory or Palace rose come in Red? If not, then I can stop looking! thanks. I have seen red in other varieties, but like the Victory best. Thanks,

• User
    12 years ago

The pink one is Alicante. I have this rose. It is a MinFL

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me find

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eaglebird: Thanks a lot. The pictures and description on HMF sounds exactly like this rose. It has thrown out some long canes and looks like it wants to be a large plant. So much for a "mini".

• phil_schorr
    12 years ago

As has been explained on here previously, being classed as a miniature does not mean the plant will be small. It refers to the size of the blooms and foliage. There are miniatures that get 4 or 5 feet tall and mini climbers that get 8 to 10 feet tall. The same is true of minifloras. In general miniatures have blooms with a diameter of less than 2 inches, while minifloras generally have blooms of between 2 and 3 inches.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

Most of these roses do very well in the garden. I have Serena Parade. Very beautiful deep red blooms with foliage that almost looks fake. This is a mini you should be able to find around Valentines Day. That's when we got ours 3 yrs ago.

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

i bought one at the grocery this year, 'busy bee' and plopped him into my mini bed and he is doing great. i have found all my mini's to be very hardy!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

They're all own root roses so for the most part are very hardy. I have had several of them and they do just fine in the garden.

• MaryRebecca
    12 years ago

Wow! Great Site. I finally found the name of my rose after four years. Only problem is, I can't enter it in the rose show. It is a great rose and very hardy.

Thank you,
    MaryRebecca

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

MaryRebecca,

If you want Show Roses get them at:

Forloveofroses.com

Sponsored