lookin4you2xist

Having a Tea Party

lookin4you2xist
14 years ago

Who else grows Ralph Moore minis ?

Comments (13)

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

I grow a few of his, haven't counted lately.

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for replying! Trying to figure out who else grows his mini roses. I've been very busy with my misting bed. Finally getting to the point that I have plenty of extras. With temps almost at 80 this week I am hoping that everything will root even faster! I grow a couple hundred types of his minis. I'm actually trying to get a pretty complete collection. Figured this might be a good place to look ?

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

Very nice list, good for you, I think it's wonderful that people find his roses so beautiful:) Every time I moved I'd visited his nursery and selected roses to landscape my home with. I had the pleasure of meeting him & have one of his poetry books.
    I think the only ones I have you do not is Rainforest and Lavender Crystal.

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliment lesdvs9!I do not see an intro date for Lavender Crystal. Rainforest is one that I would love to have,but like many of his later roses, I feel they will be some of the hardest to buy or find! I never met him, though I have read some of his poetry. I started my mini collection because of the Nor East closing. I had a couple at that point, and something told me it was buy em then or more than likely never have a chance to get them. Hopefully, I'll be able to spread a few of his minis around so they do not get "lost" easily. I listed a couple on the cutting/ exchange board not sure if the mini forum would be a better place? But,I guess that's what they have the forum for. I feel like HMF has a couple people that just started with the letter A , and put I "want" for every rose known to mankind ...geeze

• lesdvs9
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, I have bad headaches and get distracted easily. I always assoc Lavender Crystal with Mr. Moore because I always bought it there. It's not one of his roses though. Rainforest should become available soon from Burlington's Rose Nursery.
    I'm not sure on the cuttings, the mini forum has never been really busy, nor a bunch of activity on the cutting area, but I also haven't been around much in the last year. Connie Hartwood collected a lot of Mr. Moore's roses also, you might be able to arrange something with her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connie's link

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just looked through her list, thank you , I know she had bought a bunch also, unfortunately, she doesn't have much that I need.

But, I have quite a few she isn't listing yet, or doesn't have. Either way, I'm glad that she is keeping some of the minis in circulation! Hopefully, between the 2 of us most of his minis will be able to be found. I have over 500 minis under my misting bed now, and will be doing another batch within the month. Thanks a lot for the link though.

If you are looking for anything, give me a yell, as long as I have the mother plant, it's no problem to take a cutting, and put it under the misting bed. I love her blog, If you do not read it, you might find it to your liking. http://hartwoodroses.blogspot.com/
    Regards,
    Andrew Grover

• phil_schorr
    14 years ago

As I recall, right before Mr. Moore's 100th birthday there was a push to get all of his roses in one garden out there for him. The last reports I saw said they still hadn't been able to find a few of them anywhere. They were asking rose growers around the country if they had them, and still were coming up short. I felt bad because one of them they couldn't find was one I grew for a number of years, but had finally shovel pruned. There may be some of his varieties that will never be found. Keep up the effort, though. It's a noble cause.

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@ phil thanks for the vote of confidence! same applies phil, if you are looking for Moore minis, I'll see what I can come up with. I do not want to be the only person with them!

• hartwood
    14 years ago

Hi, Andrew. My list of Ralph Moore minis on my web site is seriously out of date, I just discovered. I have a lot more than are listed there ... I'll have to add this to my 'to do' list.

I never had the priviledge of meeting Mr. Moore, but I have collected his roses for years ... bought my first ones from the Uncommon Rose, added tons to the collection with the closing of Sequoia, and did some serious damage to the checkbook at Nor-East last year.

I remember when you posted photos last year of your Nor-East order unpacked all over your house. It looked exactly the same in my kitchen when I unpacked my own order. All of my roses have been wintering in the greenhouse, and they will be planted in one gigantic Ralph Moore garden later this year. Where did you plant yours?

Thanks for the compliment on my blog. I have a lot of fun with it. I'm a people person anyway, and this allows me to visit with a LOT more people.

Connie

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Connie,
    I only planted a handful of his minis, the rest have been under my misting beds or left in smaller pots. As I get more cuttings to strike, and have them budded, they will go into the ground.

I love looking at your blog. The stained glass windows are the best! You are super creative!
    Andrew

• kstrong
    14 years ago

You can look through my list if you want. It's at Rosaholic's Southern California Garden on HMF, and I try to keep it up to date. If I have something you want, I don't have any problem sending out cuttings for the cost of postage or a trade.

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    13 years ago

not sure if we got back in touch kstong. I have hundreds of minis rooted if you need anything.
    I think you had cheerleader ?

Hard to keep up with the online aspect, as I have been spending most of my Spring/ Summer under the misting bed, or doing other yard work. Anything you want rooted, or in some cases budded, just let me know. I'm still building stock up.
    Drew

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I'm still around and always good for a trade if there are cuttings you want.
    I am, however, lousy at starting cuttings, so all I can do is offer cuttings of things you may want in exchange for started cuttings of things I don't have. But I have lots of really rare stuff and will send lots of it to make up for that imbalance.
    I don't have one called cheerleader however. I do try to keep my listing on HMF current however. Just go look over there if there are cuttings you want.

Kathy

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer