Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybutterfly_gw

Green Diamonds and Rainforest

ladybutterfly
17 years ago

Does any grow either of these?? If so... any pictures?? Do you like them??

Comments (23)

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know Green Diamonds, sorry. I do have Rainforest and really like it. This was new though, I just got it last Sept and it's growing fast now, it's trippled in size just in a month. This photo is also at HMF and doesn't look like the others because I took it in Nov when it was cooler.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lesdvs,
    Your Rainforest is so pretty!! I did see your picture at HMF before I did ordered her..it is what help me to decide to get it.
    If you go to Uncommon Rose you will see a picture of Green Diamonds....I think it will look pretty growing close to Rainforest.
    I also ordered Green Ice from them. I want to get Wedding Cake but they were all out.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Well that's interesting, Green Ice predates Green Diamonds too and all of them by Mr. Moore. I have Green Ice also, I just transplanted it tonight into a pot on some advice I got that it'll sprawl pretty nice over a pot rather than trail over the dirt in the ground. It hasn't been doing very well where I had it. I also transplanted Rainforest from the mini bed into a larger rose bed I'm creating this spring since it needs more room than it had there. Kind of funny having this conversation about the two I'm working on this evening.

Those roses would look beautiful mixed together with the Rainforest to set them off with the colors in it mixing the two, I think you'll be pleased too. Be sure to come back and post some pics of them together when they're all in bloom. It'll be interesting to see what colors you get on Rainforest in your area:)

I even check the supplemental list at Sequoia Nursery to see if they had any Wedding Cake there and they didn't. Too bad, that would be a nice addition.
    Have fun, Leslie

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lesdvs,
    Sorry, I haven't been around. I agreed ...Wedding Cake would be a nice growing with the other ones.
    You said you moved your Green Ice because it wasn't doing so well were it was planted. how much sun was it getting?? The person at Uncommon Rose said it does well when it get some shade..so the place I was going to plant it get morning sun till late afternoon it will get shade. He also said that with some shade it looks more green.
    How big is your Rainforest??
    I seem to be hooked with plants that are green and white this year. I'm also planting close to these rose a few clematis that are a bit of green color.. Florida Plena and Florida Vienetta.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I had Green Ice planted last year where it got about 6 hours sun a day and that was split sun, am and pm. It wasn't getting that much this spring so I potted it up and moved it to where it's getting about that again and it's doubled in size since I moved it. What I did when I first planted it last Sept was watch it the first couple of weeks. When I didn't see any new growth at all and all the other roses started new leaves the 2nd week and it didn't, I knew it was in too much shade and I brought it forward in the bed and it started growing. However last fall and this spring the light is totally different in the mini bed I had. I'm transplanting alot of the minis out of that bed.

I also potted Green Ice on the advice of a friend who said that it really likes to trail it's leaves, so instead of doing it in the dirt, I'm trying it in a pot:) I'll let you know how this works out.

The amount of sun you're planting Green Ice in sounds to be perfect to me. Like I said, I watch for new growth as an indicator if a rose likes the location.

RainForest is now actively growing again after being transplanted and is reaching 2 feet tall now and about
    1-1/2 feet wide. It has some new buds on it, it'll be interesting to see what color these will be now that the bush is out in the full sun. It was also in 6 hours of sun before. RainForest will get 3-4' tall and about 2 feet wide or so when it matures. Hard to get true specs for my area. One of things I'm going to do is as I get good pics is post at HMF and say where I'm growing the rose and the size and width of the bush. That's the info I needed when I went looking for roses.

That sounds really good planting with the clematis it'll be really pretty with the roses, I started 3 also:) How funny...

Did you get all three of these roses then? Green Ice, Green Diamonds and RainForest?

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lesdvs,
    Thanks for all the great info you are giving me.
    The spot I plan on growing them in I use to grow mini's before...I think "if my mind is right" ..they did very well there...but I'll watch the new growth to be sure.
    Yes I ordered all 3 of them. All from Uncommon Rose....... I ordered the last two of the Green Diamonds he had at the time.

I can't wait to see more of your pictures of Rainforest and to hear how Green Ice does in the hanging basket!!

Since we seem to be doing the same things and have the same "taste" ..you might want to check out the rose Acropolis. I'm getting it from Hortico this spring (I hope). The blooms on Acropolis are ruffled and some what cupped shape and is to be a brownish pink and cream color. It is a small one like Rainforest..or smaller ..if I'm right.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I heard someone else lamenting they couldn't get Green Diamonds:) I'll have to look up Acropolis. I got the climber Pennies From Heaven from Greenheart, aka Nor'East. It's a russet changing to a smoking lavender and brown. I've never done that color before, but I love lavender and I really like some of the apricots and oranges. It's different, I thought I'd like a change and it's on the fence as a backdrop so to speak.

Both RainForest and Green Ice are loaded with buds, I should have some pics for you in a week, I'll use your thread. I put Green Ice in a pretty clay pot, but at the rate it's growing I may be repotting it before long:) It does look like it's starting to trail and if it does and looks nice I'll put it in a hanging pot. Here's a pic of it now for you. See the little buds on it:)

I'll be checking back and looking forward to pics from you when you get these, planted and roses:)
    Leslie

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also read over in the rose group that someone couldn't find Green Diamond. Guess I was lucky that I got the last 2 when I did. :)

When your Pennies From Heaven blooms..hope you're going to have some pictures of that also.

You are so lucky..your plants are getting ready to bloom and only some of mine are starting to left out. We are to get snow flurries I think tonight or tomorrow. :(

You Green Ice looks so very happy in it's pot!!

I'll also check back ...looking forward to your pictures when they start to bloom.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

You bet I'll post my pics for you, I love talking about minis, this is your thread and I figure we can talk all we like on it:)

Yeah, Green Ice has just about tripled or more now in that pot, it was about half dead, I mean one side of the plant had died off in the ground. I had read such good things about it and was not impressed by what I had when it was suggested to move it again and put it in a pot. I can grow just about anything in the ground, usually pots escape me. That this is doing so well just blows me away. You really can't see in the pic but it has a bunch of tiny buds.

I said elsewhere that we're going to hit almost 90 by this weekend and you're going to get snow, go figure. I've been out there moving minis around and sweating, all the roses are about to bloom and some have a few blooms here and there and you're going to have snow. I lived in the mtns a long time and I guess I forgot pretty quick how long it takes for weather to change in other places and the roses to start. My roses never started up there until June and the deer got the first, always. I get talking about roses and forget you're in another zone, sorry.

I'm not sure I'll get anything from Pennies From Heaven this year or not, sometimes climbers flower on next year's growth. When I do get a bloom though, I'll make sure I post a pic, it's not even a foot tall yet, it's only a month old.

I can't wait to see some pics of your Green Diamonds this summer when it gets going. That's pretty good you got two if that's a hard rose to find, just in case something happens to one of them.

The mini forum has been pretty quiet, but since we started talking about these, I've been checking it more. I'll talk with you later. I hope it doesn't get too cold and your roses do fine. The mini nursery here told me that the freeze we had and all the cold was good for the minis, when I expressed concern. Here's hoping it doesn't damage the new growth on yours.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Your Green Ice seem happy now..so is it getting more sun now...what do you think the reason is to why it is doing so much better now. Do you think just growing it the pot is making the difference?? More care on watering??

I also love minis, I use to grow a few of them years ago....my collection was very small (about 10 or so) at the time. For some reason I had stopped growing them and now I'm getting back into them again. I seem to like the ones you can't seem to find every where.

I think that is why I like Green Diamond and Rainforest. Green Ice you see more often but I like the green tint it gives and not everyone has it.

Last year I got Salute, Vista & Little Paradise. I also have a climber Snowfall for about 6 years now. This year
    I'm also getting Baby Austin, Si and Cinderella.
    Cinderella I grew before and was one of my favorites and so was Cupcake. I'm sure I will add more later in the season.
    Baby Austin, Si and Cinderella will be growing in pots.

I would like to get Chipmunk(also known as Peanut Butter and Jelly) and Wedding Cake. They are on the top of my list to get.

Rainforest is not really a mini..right?? It's a floribunda ...right?? How is it doing now??

The Acropolis rose I was telling you about is not a mini..it is a very small Hybrid Teas. It is to grow about 2 feet high.
    Another small one I'm trying out this coming year is Pomponella. It seem to be a bit different. It's a small floribunda..grows about 2 1/2 feet and the blooms seem to be more ball or cup shape.
    I like the smaller growing rose to grow in front of my bigger ones.

I agree..we can talk about what ever we like here in this thread and if anyone else has something to say..they are more then welcome.

By the way..I'm Zoe!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hi Zoe:)
    I was gone a long time, years, and didn't know there were any other mini nurseries than Sequoia's. What I like about the minis I'm discovering now are the newer ones look a lot more like Hybrid Teas without the work involved in maintaining that large of a rose. I can also have a lot more roses that way too:) I was going to add another 25 roses this year, with having to move the 25 out of my mini rose bed I'm kind of at a stand still with that. I've only added 7 minis, 1 floribunda, and 3 hybrid teas. I still have to pick up 3 more mini climbers though for the fence area. I have found room for 3 small hybrid teas at the front of the house. I have 3 in mind that I want, but I thought I'd wait until I got to pick out the climbers at Sequoia Nursery first next week to make sure they don't have any hybrid teas I'd like better. Then I don't have to pay the shipping and I've got fresh roses too from right here.

Yes, RainForest is a floribunda, it will get about 3 to 4' tall here in CA. But, my growing season is longer than yours, we'll have to compare notes:) I still should have a least one bloom in the next few days, I've got quite a few buds on it now but a couple are getting really close now. It might have done even better than this if I had moved it sooner.

Green Ice was in the bed that only got 4 to 6 hours of sun. I calculate that it's still getting upwards of 6+ hours. I'm going to try a further experiment of moving it into the sun a little more each day. It's kind of been like in a hot house, too much sun all at once will be a shock. Oh yes, more sun is definitely why it's doing better. Plus I also used cocoa shells in that bed trying to deter the cats from using it as a giant litter box. I believe it holds moisture in. I mixed some really nice muclch in but it still matted down with winter. That was a bed I had my husband rototill up the clay and mix in various soil amendments and then the top oh say 4 incles was pure Miracle Gro rose soil. The roses really liked it, and so did my cats:) This was a brand new house, we'd come from the mountains and they were used to going in the forest, easy ground to scratch up, here was hard baked dirt.

It's nice to grow roses that no one else has:) It's also nice to find someone who shares a few with you:) You got some very nice roses too! I'm going to have to go look up a few of them though...I like roses that also look a little different too. I just discovered singles when I went and bought roses last year. Never knew about them before or if I had, didn't like them. Now I love them:) Because they're so different. Tastes change I guess as you get older. I like the cupshaped roses too, they're fascinating to look at. I just gave my cousin my catalog of them, she had wondered about one she saw and didn't know where to find them. She described one and I showed her a photo on here and that was exactly what she wanted, I gave her a whole catalog of them, LOL...

Back to Green Ice, I don't think putting it in a pot had anything to do with it growing all of a sudden, it was getting it into more sun. But, it definetly is a lot healthier and I do like the way it is growing and not trailing the leaves in the dirt the way it was. So we'll see:)

I was out watering a little while ago and Pennies From Heaven has some more new red growth and it's too small to tell but it almost looks like it could be little tiny buds too. I'll be able to tell more in a few more days, it's supposed to continue to be warm here.

It sounds like you've got a very nice start on minis and floribundas though. I've been planting and standing back and looking and considering and doing it some more. I can't wait until they fill in to see how well I've done. Especially when they are all in bloom to see how I'm clashing, LOL... When I have everything cleaned up enough I'll post a few pics, before and after. When I have the roses done I will go to work on the companion plants.

I'm already thinking of taking more grass out:)

I'm probably going to see what these do this year before I add anymore than what I said I had to get yet. I really do want a Sweet Chariot, surely I can find some room for that:) I've tried half a dozen times to grow that over the years and now that I've discovered how to grow in a pot, I'm going to try it ONE more time.... It gets way too hot here to do a hanging pot, I think I'm going to put it on one of my pedestal plant stands.

Oh yes, I'm always open to anyone who wants to talk minis, I just meant it's your thread to talk on and there isn't a conversation area on the mini forum. This is going to be alot of fun to have someone to talk these over with:)
    Leslie

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi! Leslie..nice to meet you! :)
    I'm so disappointed today..I went to order Love and Peace from Sequoia's and they were all out of that miniature rose. :( I want it so bad!!!

Did you get my email about Green Diamond the other day..sent the email from here on Gardenweb?

It has also been a long time for me ordering minis and since the last time (many years) that I did that..there are many companies that seem to be gone now.

I can't wait to see your Rainforest blooms...and it sounds as if Green Ice likes more sun..but I'm wonder if the green tones will still be there or be bleach out from more sun...guess time will tell us...right!! Can't wait.

Like your soil...mine is almost clay...very hard! I got the land next to my house (it's about 125 feet by 25 feet lot) about 10 years ago but didn't do much to it till 2001 before that for over 25 years that ground was never worked...it was weeds after weeds ..season after season for many years...so when I got it I tried killing all weeks that came up..year after year..and just planted a few roses along the side of the fence...I put down grass clipping in the rose bed along with coffee grounds, alfalfa & eggs shells..Kept doing this very time I cut the grass and now the dirt in that rose bed is nice and rich black and I see worms!! :)
    Last year I planted about 25 roses and started doing the same thing to that dirt. I'm still fighting a big weed problem..but a lot less then when I first got the land.

You said that you were going to adding another 25 roses this year but since you are going to move 25 roses out of my mini rose bed you are kind of at a stand still...why are you moving the roses out of the bed??....are you redesigning your garden?? That is kind of what I started last year...when I added about 25 rose..moved a lot of roses around. I finally got a picture in my head of how I want my garden to look like and started working on that last year. I moved around roses..added more roses and Clematis...got a new arch...this year adding more roses and clematis..bird bath and who knows what else....I have a few before and after shots of one area I worked on last year and will post them..once I find them. I love the new look!!

You said you have problems growing Sweet Chariot...the rose I have a problem growing is Paradise..it a Hybrid Tea. I always tried growing it in the same spot and it dies year after year..so this year I'm going to try it again and planting it in a different spot to see what happens....plus I'm ordered it from a company on line instead of picking it up at the store...hopefully it will grow this year.

You said..you find your taste changes as you get older...I don't need my taste to change as I get older..it would cost to much to change now..I will be 50 tomorrow...not liking that to much but to also have my taste to change..would be a like to much:)
    I myself don't seem to like the single rose...I'm more into the ones that look like Hybrid Teas and Austin.....like Baby Austin. I also like the minis that grow only about 12 to 18 inches high.

Not sure if you growing minis will mean you can grow more roses as you can see some mins grow as tall as some Hybrid Tea...and they grow wider..but they do have more flowers on the like floribunda do. Depending on how wide the mini or floribunda grow...you can find 2 Hybrid Tea to fill the same space...but if you keep to small minis...yes you can grow more in the same space.

Have you ever been to gardenbuddies.com...there is a few mini roses lovers there also. I go there sometimes...nice people there!!

The minis I want to get are:
    Wedding Cake
    Chipmuck
    Love and Peace
    Dolores Marie
    Baby Cecile Brun
    Cup Cake

Have you tried growing roses from cuttings...I want to try it this year.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

No sorry, I didn't get an email from you, you can reach me at: lesdvs9@comcast.net
    it's really late when I found this one, I'm going to respond tomorrow er later today:). Feel free to email me. When I go on Wed to Sequoia, I'll check in person for you on the Love and Peace, I didn't know that was a mini.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, there is an hybrid tea called "Love And Peace" but this year Moore came out with a new mini also by the same name ...it is red and lavender striped....most of the time I don't like the striped rose but this one I really do. I had called yesterday to order it and they said they were out and might have some in the fall.

When you go Wed to Sequoia?? You live near them?? How lucky you are!!!!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Yes, they're about 6 miles down the road:) That's what I thought it was a hybrid tea. So it's the HT you want or the mini?? I've got to get back out and get the last 3 minis moved. Then I'll come answer you your long post, my eyes were crossing last night, I even left the computer on all night and didn't log off, LOL*

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hey Zoe, it's still Tues in CA I'm working on my email to you and just saw you said it's your BIRTHDAY today.
    HAPPY BIRTDAY ZOE!!! So I didn't miss it, the day isn't over here, LOL* Sorry, I just didn't see it earlier, I was in a hurry. I don't care what time it says this posts, it'll say Wed.
    On my computer it's April 10, 2007 at 10:47pm and I'm still in time here. Course it's the wrong time there though, sorry...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

FYI, Wedding Cake isn't a mini it is a short floribunda.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Leslie, Thank you!!

Diane, Thank you for pointing that out to me..I did not realize it was a floribunda. I still want it.. even if it is a floribunda.

Gelfely, Your link took me to a jewelry place...not to the rose Green Diamond.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

1st bud and bloom of Rainforest wasn't very impressive.

2nd set of bud and bloom on back side of bush look a little better.

Buds around the first bloom are beginning to open too now though. Hoping the move into full sun is going to make a difference. Our weather shifted back to cool and rain the last few days. This first flush of buds may all be like this.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Here's a bud opening today with the promise of what this rose will be and I hoped it will be. No crispy edges, but the weather has been cooler again which gives it darker colors.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That picture of the rose is pretty!! I like the different shades of pink on the rose bloom!!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Zoe, here's another pic of Rainforest. It's been in the high 50's and 60's for over a week and down in the high 30's and 40's at night and the colors of Rainforest changed again. In a few days we're supposed to heat all the way back up to the high 80's and you should see most of the dark pink go away again. I think a lot of what I've shown you is what you can expect too:) I love seeing a rose change colors. BTW I should be adding photos of Green Ice too today or tomorrow, what about yours?

The whiter ones are the older blooms, so these are the range from buds to old blooms.

• ladybutterfly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I like all the different shades....it is going to look nice with my climbing snowfall growing behind it.

Thank you for putting the pictures up! My Green Ice bud opened...I liked it!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting