Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_obsessed

Mini Problem w/Feisty from Jackson Perkins

garden_obsessed
18 years ago

Hello all,

I purchased 27 miniture roses from my local garden center 4 yrs ago. They are called "Feisty" and they are Jackson Perkins roses. They are planted in full sun and spaced properly. They are mulched and I take great care not to over/under water them. They are fed once a season with slow release granules specifically formulated for roses.

When I purchased them, they were small but looked healthy. They had leaves and blooms. They have been in the ground for three years now.

Year 1: They bloomed profusely but didn't grow much. I was not too concerned since I assumed they were growing a root system underground.

Year 2: They bloomed profusely but had hardly any leaves. The stems were still the same diameter as when purchased, 1/8th inch or even less. Very thin stems! There were hardly any leaves, maybe two per stem, on many stems there were NONE! Many stems had only large clusters of blooms but no leaves. The plant height was unchanged from the year before, 6 - 8" in height. (This rose should get 2' or so high!)

I was concerned and called the nursery center where I purchased them. They said the roses were still probably getting acclimated to their "new" environment, maybe suffered some transplant shock from the year before that they were still recovering from, and just needed time. I called JP and they said the same thing. Since they bloomed so profusely, and they were alive, I decided I should try to be more patient. So I waited...

Year 3: It was exactly the same as year 2! No increase in height, stem diameter, or number of leaves!

Now it's year 4. Does anyone have suggestions that may help me? Am I doing something wrong? There is no and has never been a problem with blackspot or fungus or anything that I can see. I tried to spray with an all purpose rose spray that was supposed to get rid of most

anything that may be hurting the roses but there was no difference in the plants.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? Is this a problem with the roses themselves? The photos I've seen on these roses shows them full and with a lot of leaves. Mine look like tiny thin sticks with clusters of blooms at the ends but no or few leaves. I will say they do bloom a whole lot! Should I just rip them out and start over? How many years do I have to wait for miniture roses to take off and look like nice plants? They are so scraggly and pitiful looking!

HELP!

Thanks for letting me vent too!

G.O.

Comments (3)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Someone else more knowledgeable about the zone issue will have to chime in there.

A few thoughts:

1. Check that the soil isn't holding too much water or drying out too much.

2. You may need a soil test to accurately identify what might be missing in your soil.

3. Even if there is no indication of blackspot doesn't mean you don't have it. No leaves makes me suspicious that you do. I would suspect that these roses would require a regular spraying with a fungicide (meaning every week - 2 weeks depending on the product). You don't say which fungicide that you used, please tell us. There is a chance that you have spider mites, you can tell if on the undersides of what leaves you have there are little specks that look like pepper.

4. Once a season fertilizing might not be enough. Try adding an organic-based fertilizer such as Espoma Rose Tone, applied once a month from right after pruning until August.

It might sound strange, but any really, really tiny stems should be removed. Minis take at most 2 seasons to become productive. So, either these plants are just not good, or the rose isn't good for your area (just because you bought them locally doesn't mean that they are good for you) or they just need some additional care.

Oh, do you have rabbits?

• garden_obsessed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

diane nj,
    Thanks for the response! So sorry I haven't been on for a while, I've had the flu.

I called J Perkins and spoke with someone there, again, about this problem. They are not aware of any problem with the mini Feisty rose. They suggested I have my soil tested. I am sending out soil samples this week and will anxiously await the results. They have offered to replace the roses if the soil testing and amending (if needed) does not work. I told them I would be happy to send them one or more for them to see the roses in person but they said it was not necessary at this time.

In answer to your questions, I think the soil quality is good, at least by appearances. The soil in the bed is newer, from bags, and doesn't seem to hold too little or much water. The other plants in the bed seem to be doing well.

I am quite sure I don't have spider mites, there are no pepper spots (I've seen them before) anywhere near these roses. I used two different kinds of fungicide sprays, one in a seafoam green bottle from Home Depot (can't think of the name) and the other was a Bayer brand. I don't have the bottles anymore because I used it all up last summer.

I am familiar with the fertilizer, I'll give it a try, as long as my soil test results allow it. I've tried other products from this company with great results so maybe this is what I need!

J Perkins says the roses should be about 2 - 3 foot tall by now and full looking so there's definately something wrong. I'm trying to be patient but after so many years it's getting tough! :)

Nope, no rabbits! Our worst pests here are Japanese Beetles but they don't seem to bother with these roses. They sure love the fragrant antique roses though! If you have any tips on that I'd REALLY love to hear them, it's our biggest problem! They eat up the buds before they ever get a chance to bloom, and besides they're just plain disgusting!

G.O.

• gardenfanatic2003
    17 years ago

GO,

I have a Feisty, and it's the same way. I've had it for 3 years. The soil in that bed is like chocolate cake. Well amended with lots of organics. I've resigned myself to the idea that it's just going to be a tiny rose bush.

Deanna

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals