Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellegallica

Clay or plastic?

bellegallica
18 years ago

I also asked this question on the Antique Roses Forum.

Do you prefer clay or plastic?

Comments (12)

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops. I meant to say that I was thinking about putting some minis in 12" (four gallon) clay pots. Does anyone else grow their roses in clay or terra cotta? I'm worried about them drying out too quickly.

• roselin32
    18 years ago

I am in zone 7 and would only grow mine in plastic. In the summer you would be watering clay pots twice a day, I'm afraid.

• gingergaia
    18 years ago

I live in zone 8-Louisiana. Last year I planted minis in both clay & plastic, some made it ,some didn't. I used water crystals in them. I think that those that made it thru a droughty summer had more to do with the roses themselves. Gizmo was in a small clay pot that my son backed over & though I didn't get around to moving it for a couple weeks it survived just fine. I'd use the water crystals whatever choice you make. Ginger Gaia

Here is a link that might be useful: Gingers Flower Garden

• kasiec
    18 years ago

Hi gingergaia - you have a lovely and soothing garden.

Kasie

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Plastic. I have the problem with clay freezing and cracking, and I have found that the clay deteriorates too fast.

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I finally got to work and made myself a rose bed this weekend. Everything went into it except for one mini (Pacesetter). That one may go into the ground eventually as well, but I'm going to give it a try in the pot for now. I may be crazy, but I like the look of a mini rose in a pot during the winter when all the leaves have fallen off and you can see all the little branches.

• msrose
    18 years ago

Ginger,

I was looking at the pictures of your absolutely beautiful garden and noticed where you live. I graduated from Ouachita Parish H.S. in Monroe. Small world!

Laurie

• drasaid
    18 years ago

with holes punched in the bottom with an old nail.
    I fill the bottom with rocks, then sand, then dirt. The roses seem to like the depth, the pots are lightweight, cheapish, age well, and can be put on the fence with s-hooks. I have used old brass waste paper containers the same way, they age to a nice green.

• helmut_ii
    18 years ago

I prefer plastic, but have some roses in clay containers. I always coat the clay container with tree pruning sealer.
    Helmut

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

I will be planting both large and mini roses in containers here and I plan on using either plastic or resin. I think I'll have to investigate the water crystals Ginger spoke of above.

• den123
    18 years ago

I perfer half wine barrels i can put about three minis in and it makes for a nice bouquet effect and my minis can stay in there for a long time.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Problem with wooden barrels or any wooden container is that the deteriorate over time. Look good for about 4 years, but then they start to fall apart. I like them too, but they are not as lasting here as plastic or resin.