Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Climbing Mini Roses Easy? Difficult?

Posted by connie1946 NE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 16:14

My sister wishes to give me a gift of a Minature Climbing Rose. I live in Zone 5a. Is there a difference in this type of plant and a minature bush that I might pick up in a small pot? I live in Northern Wisconsin (Door County)zone 5a
The plant we have in mind is called:
Pink Above AllTM (CHEWpearl PP#13877) Warner
Pink Above All is a vigorous climbing rose that is easy to train. Blooming profusely from spring through fall, small satin-pink flowers contrast against dark green, glossy foliage. Its reblooming is its most important feature, as it is continual without rest periods. Bred for disease resistance and strength of growth on its own roots. Pink Above All is a much quicker rose to finish!
Ht. 7 Feet
Zone 6+

Follow-Up Postings:

o
The one I had was Red Cascade. It's DEATHLESS

Even when I thought I had given all of the airlayered ones off of the main plant away, I found more of them! Bits of root must have sent up shoots.
Right now I have Angel Pink and Golden Century (both lightly scented, both climbers.) I also have Little White Lies, which is supposed to be for hanging baskets but sure looks like a climber to me. The bummer about most climbing miniatures is the lack of scent; I insist on scent or no go.

o
RE: Grow Climbing Mini Roses Easy? Difficult?

When we moved to Nevada from Minnesota ten years ago, one of the first roses I planted was Jeanne Lajoie. I can not tell you how wonderful these climbers are and how stalwart and beautiful they are year after year. They are the perfect size, in my opinion, for a climber--they are fairly upright all on their own and have nice foliage. Since miniature roses are even hardier than traditional roses, they withstand the intense heat here, and I know they are grown in Canada. I got mine from Nor'east in tiny 4" containers--but they grew 3-4 feet the first season and their "permanent" height is about 6-7'. Very easily kept to any desired height and shape.

Jeanne Lajoie Sima. Climber.
Beautiful, well-formed, pointed buds and double flowers of medium pink, with a darker reverse. Vigorous branched growth, profuse bloom. Tall canes can be anchored to a fence or to the ground for a fountainous effect. More bloom than you could believe possible in a mini! Ht. 7 - 10 ft. 1977 Award of Excellence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nor'east

o

Door County? My sister has a place up there. My husband and I grew up in Green Bay. A lady in my old rose society up there had a cute yellow mini climber called King Tut/Laura Ford. It isn't easy to find a vender offering it. I'd check HMF. Jeanne Lajoie is a nice rose too. One I debated about getting when I couldn't find King Tut was Cl. Rainbow's End but I didn't get it when it looked like my hubby and I were going to move here.

o

I grow Jeanne Lajoie and Hi Ho in central Illinois. I have a 90 acre park behind me and mine do fine without any winter protection

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here