Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Why won't they last for me indoors?

seaecho1
18 years ago

Every time I've tried minis indoors, they succumb to spider mite sooner or later. Before I know it, I go from a beautiful blooming plant to a few dried up sticks with dry, crackly remnants of leaves every time. I dearly love these plants, but finally gave up on them years ago. My climate is dry - high desert of S. Calif. and the summertime humidity is often only 15-20%. Well, I took up orchids and other tropicals, and for the most part have done pretty darn well with them, even reblooming the orchids.

I have no outdoor options, so my plants must all be houseplants. I hear minis are just not happy indoors, but I do hear of people who are successful. What is their secret?

Well, everything was fine until the other day when my daughter-in-law proudly presented me with.... you guess.... a mini rose! In a two and a half inch pot. I fell in love all over again. Its white with three buds. But, already I see that some of its leaves are yellowing. (They were when she gave it to me). I don't want to lose another one of these little beauties! I mist it thoroughly every morning, and water it every other day, since I'm sure I underwatered the others that died in the past. Pebble tray too. I have to keep reminding myself its a thirsty plant - unlike most orchids who like to dry out between waterings. Any words of wisdom for this time around? The label says its a Parade Rose, but that's it. No name. Thanks.

Randi

Comments (3)

Sponsored