Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't they last for me indoors?

Posted by seaecho1 SW CA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 17:20

Every time I've tried minis indoors, they succumb to spider mite sooner or later. Before I know it, I go from a beautiful blooming plant to a few dried up sticks with dry, crackly remnants of leaves every time. I dearly love these plants, but finally gave up on them years ago. My climate is dry - high desert of S. Calif. and the summertime humidity is often only 15-20%. Well, I took up orchids and other tropicals, and for the most part have done pretty darn well with them, even reblooming the orchids.

I have no outdoor options, so my plants must all be houseplants. I hear minis are just not happy indoors, but I do hear of people who are successful. What is their secret?

Well, everything was fine until the other day when my daughter-in-law proudly presented me with.... you guess.... a mini rose! In a two and a half inch pot. I fell in love all over again. Its white with three buds. But, already I see that some of its leaves are yellowing. (They were when she gave it to me). I don't want to lose another one of these little beauties! I mist it thoroughly every morning, and water it every other day, since I'm sure I underwatered the others that died in the past. Pebble tray too. I have to keep reminding myself its a thirsty plant - unlike most orchids who like to dry out between waterings. Any words of wisdom for this time around? The label says its a Parade Rose, but that's it. No name. Thanks.

Randi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't they last for me indoors?

If you go to the main page of the Mini Rose Forum, scroll down and search for "indoors" there are a few articles that discuss this. Here is one: questions about the winter (yes, it is really about keeping minis indoors). Bottom line, they really are not indoor plants, they would be better planted outdoors.

o

Don't give up! I have been growing mini-roses indoors successfully now for quite some time so it can be done. My advice- similar to another's - get a 2 or 4 lamp fluorescent shop light. These are very inexpensive and can be purchased at any home improvement store. Use fluorescent plant lamps in them and hang them about 2 inches above your plants. Buy a timer and set it for 16 hours. It takes 16 hours of this light to even come close to replicating actual sun. Make sure you prune off any dead leaves and dead canes. Fertilize with exactly one-half of the recommended solution of a rose fertilizer. Spray for spider mites. Your plants will be beautiful and will provide you many hours of joy. You can do it!

o

I do spray for spider mites on my indoor minis but Avid can be quite expensive. A good control is not misting, which doesn't do a thing, but wrapping a paper towel around the base of the plant to keep the dirt in, inverting the plant in the kitchen sink and spraying the underside of the leaves with a good cold spray from that hose spray I've never found any other use for. If you do that twice a week, spider mite will be a thing of the past.
I use Avid because I have big roses inside and turning them upside down is nothing I could manage.
It's very common for the leaves to turn yellow and drop when you first get a potted mini. They've been forced in a greenhouse and the change to dry air and lower light levels is enough to shock them. They should leaf out again and do fine thereafter.
They sure aren't the easiest house plants in the world but I've got ten of them inside, several blooming right now and they're doing fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here