Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertratrose

Hot Tamale

desertratrose
19 years ago

This rose is amazing! I had to whack it back to 2' x 2' after having it spread to 4x4 in its first year! Its already nearly 3x3 and busting out with growth and blooms all over. Its so good, I removed a climber it was planted in front of because the climber didn't have enough room and Hot Tamale was the better bloomer!

{{gwi:1203501}}

Suz

Comments (22)

• irish_rose_grower
    19 years ago

Suz, your Hot Tamale is so beautiful! And so healthy looking. I love it.

maureen

• richard
    19 years ago

For about seven years I've been saying Hot Tamale is Keith Zary's best introduction, and still haven't changed my mind.

• msrose
    19 years ago

I don't know why I've never gotten this one. I'm saving your picture to my screensaver to remind me that I need this rose!

Laurie

• Maureen Janda
    19 years ago

Beautiful! I just got one with my first miniature order from Nor'East. Do you think Hot Tamale would clash badly with Denvers Dream? Maybe I should pot them up and wait to see their blooms together?

Maureen too

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmm... I would pot them up and wait to see their blooms together. Hot Tamale has a lot of pink in it and Denver's Dream has bright orange and a darker orange-red to it.

Suz

• linda_10
    18 years ago

Can Hot Tamale be planted against a white wall facing south... will be getting a lot of sun?

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sure. Mine's more or less against a tan block wall and faces south. Plan for the size above in your climate.

Suz

• goatster
    18 years ago

Suz how is it for BS and other nasties?

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Blackspot is generally not a problem in the Phoenix metro area as we don't normally have enough humidity to support its biological needs. However, I did get a bit in my garden this year and Hot Tamale was not one of those infected. It seems to hold its own fairly well against PM as well. I didn't do much spraying this year, though it did get a bit of Bayer 2-in-1 early in our spring (ok, January here...). I've only ever seen rust on one plant in my garden and I have no idea where it came from, but that was out front and not in the back where Hot Tamale is.

Suz

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

Suz,

Beautiful pictures. I picked up an order of 14 miniatures on the weekend and the owner gave me Hot Tamale as a "freebie". He asked if I had ever grown it and when I responded that I hadn't, he told me i "must" grow it and just handed it to me.

I was actually going to post a question about it and saw your post. I am really looking forward to it now!

Thanks,
    Tim

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

HT is an excellent mini for us. Lots of early growth and has been the 3rd to bloom 3 springs in a row. The micromini Si and the mini Starina are the only roses to bloom before Hot Tamale in our yard. HT gets a couple inches of lawn clippings as protection, that is all.

• wkendwarrior
    18 years ago

this is my favorite mini of all time. Great photo, Suz!

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Reupload of photo...
    {{gwi:1203502}}

Suz

• jean_ar
    18 years ago

Suz. sure glad you reposted ypur photo,as I couldn't see the other photo.Got the red X.I just bought a Hot Tamale a few weeks ago.Its a small plant,so am glad to see yours and know what mine should look like.

Jean

• bebble
    18 years ago

Very nice - I echo so many others - it was on a "maybe list" I'm building ... this pretty much makes up my mind. :)

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

Suz,

Thanks for the enabling. Mine has been planted in the garden since May 14th. Has started to produce buds now. I counted about 20 tiny ones this morning with lots more on the way. Think I'm gonna like this mini....:)

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, you are most welcome! It blooms and blooms and blooms. Its so good, I'm trying to get all its sports, too. Ruby Baby is available from John's Miniatures and some of the other Miniature vendors. Its red with the bit of yellow base. There are supposed to be two other sports, What a Surprize and Bedazzled but HMF doesn't list suppliers. Sigh.

Suz

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

Hot Tamale is one of my favorites. It is also fragrant and it survived this past Wisconsin winter without protection (I lost a handful of other minis in that bed too). Gotta have it! :-D

• the_morden_man
    18 years ago

Suz,

Once again, thanks for the enabling and I am really happy the proprieter, Cecil Lamrock, of my favorite mini place gave me this mini for free with my order. I think he was right, "i must grow it...."

Here is a pic of its first bloom and the bush is already loaded with buds. Truly beautiful and they have a nice fragrance too which is a bonus.

{{gwi:1203505}}

• desertratrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooooh!!! I'm so glad you got it! Everyone should grow this one! :)

Suz

• jpw_chi
    18 years ago

I have two (had one on my desk at work for half the winter before it could go outside) and, yup, it's been really good.

• jpw_chi
    17 years ago

Another year gone by, and still a favorite!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Tamale

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm