Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini rose thriving...But dying???

Posted by tredford2002 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 18:10

My wife and I are kind of new to the indoor plant scene, but I watched my Mom do it for years all growing up, so last year I caught the itch. I bought a yellow mini rose bush at the grocery for my wife, and re-potted it the next day in a 6 inch deep pot (he's just a little guy, no more than 9 inches tall and a foot wide.) I water it every 5 or 6 days or so, (Miracle grow every couple of weeks.) usually I stick my finger down into the dirt about an inch and a half to test if it's dry or not. If it's mostly dry I water.

It was doing okay for the first week or so, but for the last month it has steadily been having it's leaves turn yellow and die. Usually it's whole inch and a half branches at a time. It's still steadily growing new buds and leaves at the top though which has me confused. It's got 2 nice blooms on it right now, and 2 more budding up. But all of the lower branches branches and leaves are dying off.

I've never sprayed for spider mites, but I've done every test I've been able to find to see if it has them and haven't seen any evidence. It sits right next to a window so it get's about 5-6 hours of nearly direct sunlight. At a total loss for what's wrong with it...Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini rose thriving...But dying???

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:15

Unfortunately roses do not make good house plants. They much prefer being outside. They need very high humidity to do well. They also want a good 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight. My suggestion would be to get it outside as soon as the weather permits. In the meantime get a tray and fill it with pebbles and some water about half way up the sides of the tray and put the rose on top of the pebbles but be sure the bottom of the pot is not touching the water. Hopefully that will help raise the humidity around the plant some. If you have a grow light add that for some extra hours as well. Keep it watered and fed and see if that perks it up.

o
RE: Mini rose thriving...But dying???

I;m guessing larger pot too, if it's 6" need 12 at least. if not larger.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here