Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

help asap!!

Hello! I need your help! A friend bought me a mini rose (Palace I believe) at the grocery store last month. I pinched back the forced blooms and repotted it. It soon put off a staggering amount of new growth. I have noticed that the leaves have been discoloring. Not turning fully yellow, but mottled yellow/green. I pinched them back but its not doing any good; its spreading. I looked at the underside of the leaves and theres a strange grayish powder on them. I also noticed a few fine 'cobweb' like thingies (im using the technical term here) around the leaves. What is it, and how can I get rid of it? Im not sure cutting it back would do much good. Its too cold out at night to plant the mini rose, or I would. Would setting it out in the sun during the day maybe kill whats ever on it without actually killing the plant? Is there anything I could spray on it? A natural remedy would be great, as it IS still in the house with me, lol. I have corralled the desease harborer away from my other houseplants, in case this is something desasterous. Thank you sooo much for your help!

CMK

Comments (5)

• cuyahogakid
    16 years ago

Your roses may, from your description, have spider mites and mildew.
    The only thing I would spray the leaves(on a rose in the house) would be water or, if you have an empty spray bottle, water plus a drop of dish soap and two or three spoons of rubbing alcohol. When you are spraying cover the pot(soil) with a plastic shopping bag to keep the soil in and the water out.
    Yes on warm days, 40F, put out your rose.
    Be mindful not to over water your rose.
    If you search the forums there is a lot of info on rose care.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Miniature Roses

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Spider mites, definitely. Rinse off the entire plant under running water. You may have to do this for 3 days in a row to get rid of them.

Roses indoors do not get enough light or humidity and lack of both draw spider mites like crazy. Also, try not to over water or under water, the potting mix should be moist, but not bone dry or sopping wet.

Please take a look at How to save a potted gift rose for more information.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys! I rinced off the leaves. I put it outside for a few hours earlier, and have just brought it in, as it is now snowing again :(. Ive had good luck with planting grocery store minis in my garden, so as soon as the ground thaws out enough ill plant it. Thanks again.
    CMK

• lilgreenfrog
    16 years ago

Hi, I wanted to just add to the advice given. It's really the underside of the leaves that must be sprayed - and I mean SPRAYED, as hard as you can without knocking the leaves off.

I usually moisten the soil to hold it in place, then wrap plastic wrap around the base of the plant and over the soil, (like the rugs that go around the base of a Christmas tree), then tip the thing upside down in the sink and use the sprayer with the water on full force.
    I've been told that the life cycle of the mites is about 3 days, so do this every day for 3 days, and then once every three days after that. I've brought some very infested plants back to life doing this.

If the plant is too large to hold upside down, take it outside and use the hose with a sprayer nozzle, again spraying the undersides of the leaves as hard as the plant will tolerate.

The mites like dry, still, warm air, so even after you plant them outside the mites can still fluorish. Make sure to plant where there will be some air currents coming through. In Washington you shouldn't have to worry too much about dry air!

Hope this helps.

Lara

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lara. Your right about out damp air! Were just getting over the snow here (Spokane), and Im sure the rain is on the way! I did rince off the leaves with the vegetable washer on the sink, and ive been putting the rose outside in the daytime for the past few days. The leves at the bottom are starting to yellow more and drop off. I see a few buds at the stem, which I hope will mature into new leaves. The temps here are going to be in the 50's next week, so if the rose starts to look much worse I may plant it outside. I have a really warm area under my eaves in the front yard, by the foundation of my house, that I may plant it in for now.
    CMK