Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Miniatures On Regular Size Rose Bush?

butterflylion
12 years ago

Is there a list of miniature roses that bloom on bushes that are about the size of a hybrid tea? What size plants do the miniature roses sold in the grocery stores grow to be?

Comments (4)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    12 years ago

My grocery store mini's always stay about 2 ft tall but I keep them in 18" decor pots. There is no list of mini's that get tall but I've grown MANY mini's that get tall. I don't know how tall your HT's are (what part of GA are you in?) but a good start is the mini Giggles. Several mini/miniflora's grafted on to fortuniana root stock will get big and still keep the blooms the proper size. I have a Whirlaway that is 5-6 ft tall and a Tiffany Lynn right next to it that is 5 ft tall. I get most of my mini/miniflora's from K&M Nursery. Give them a call and talk to Jim. He will be more then happy to help you pick out what would work for you and what colors you would want :)

• lesdvs9
    12 years ago

Most of my minis are the size of HT's. My Sweet Chariot is advancing to that size now, can't believe people try to grow that in a little pot.;)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Not all but a great deal of the miniature roses will grow to be plants of about 3 x 3 feet if they're healthy and happy. And some of them can grow a great deal larger. There are climbing miniatures that will get to 12 feet tall. "Miniature" only refers to the size of the bloom and the leaf not the size of the plant. There are "micro-minis" that have very tiny blooms about the size of a dime and these bushes also tend to stay very small, around one foot. Most miniatures have blooms that range between 1/2 to 2 inches in size. Minifloras, a newer class, range between 1 1/2 and 3 inches in bloom size. Floribunda and Shrub rose blooms are usually around 3 to four inches. Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras can be as large as 6 or 7 inches in bloom size. The leaves on each of these also get larger as the bloom size goes up.

All of this is contingent on your weather as well. Warm climates will grow larger roses because they have a much longer growing season. In my colder climate many things never reach the heights they will down south because of winter die back each year. Also the soil and growing location conditions can affect the mature size of a rose. If the soil is good and the rose gets enough sun and does not have to compete with other things for nutrients and room it will get to it's maximum size happily.

One that I have that is close to three feet tall in it's first year is called Softee. I have no idea how big it will eventually get when it has a chance to mature.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    11 years ago

If you want a mini that will be as tall as ht's get Gourmet Popcorn. That bush will get 61/2 ' tall. A lot of the Minifloras will get 5-6' as well. My Jean Kenneallys grow to over 4'

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia