Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds already?

Posted by timbersmith 6A (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 1:43

Hey all,

this is more of a curiosity question than concern, but when does a mini normally set flower buds? I'm wondering cause I was surprised to see that 2 of my minis (last year's post-Valentine's Day clearance rack from Lowes) both have a single bud on 'em already!

I guess they like their surroundings . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds already?

as they get older they may bloom earlier and longer

o

It is way early. Funny, I was in south Georgia last weekend, and they had a late frost and are ~two weeks late. Mine will start blooming this weekend, which is two weeks early for the polyanthas and a month early for everything else.

o

Yea, I thought it was way early, but there they are - probably be blooming in about a week.

I don't think they are that old, either - I've had them for a bit more than a year now and all I've done is put 'em in separate pots (when first purchased), overwintered 'em in the detached garage, and re-potted and started bringing 'em out sometime in March (moved 'em back into garage when frost was called for). I would put them in the ground, but I still don't know where, yet. So far only the 2 have buds, the other 3 are still putting out foliage, but I guess it'll be quite the show this year.

o

Most of my minis are covered with buds and some have started opening. Sweet Diana was the first to bloom this year, just edging out the perennial first bloomer Golden Beryl. Yes, it is early this year for some reason. It may mess up my exhibiting, but it looks great in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here