Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please give your recommendation

Posted by NTT_HOU 8b/9a/NWHouston (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 2:08

I've posted this same one on the "Rose" forum but thought that some of you may not visit that forum. Yet, I still would like to seek your recommendation.

I've been looking through the web and catalogues and still haven't found what I need.

I'd like to plant a bed of roses 15'-20' long along 2 windows. I don't want to block off the windows so I'd prefer rose bushes that are 2' high. A minimum of 2" wide flower is preferred along with long season bloom. I'd prefer a fragrant, white with yellow tint color flower, similar to the English Garden. I would have chosen the English Garden except this rose bush grows to 3' high. Unless... is it possible to keep a rose bush trimmed up to 2' high without losing its beauty and blooms?

Besides, the English Garden, would you know of such a rose as described above?

Also, depend on how wide the bush is, I'm planning to purchase 10-15 rose plants. Do you know of any vendor that would offer a discount for large quantity purchase?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please give your recommendation

• Posted by Cindi 8b9aTexas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 9:06

I been looking and thinking. Trying to figure out a mini that would be English style, light yellow and fragrant is not so easy a chore. I know they are out there. Lots of little yellows come to mind. But the only one that I can think of that is perfect is Fairhope. Now. Its not Eng Style but all minis open like.

For English style I know there is a perfect mini. But I want to keep thinking polyantha roses. Its the fragrance that is hard to think of one too. Houston heat will zap just about any fragrance from a softly smelling rose. Bet Kim roses from Ashdown roses got one. I think of Lexington from Town and country. You can shear hedge all those but its not english style really.

I just think Fairhope because its such a perfect rose. But for landscaping I think poly. I keep thinking Lullaby (Polyantha, Shepherd, 1953) because of English style. But I can not think of the yellow bit.

Do searches in helpmefind. and the ashdown website library. polyantha.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairhope

o

Corrected link:
Fairhope at HelpMeFind

Note there is one picture of an obviously mis-identified rose in the four pictures posted. Fairhope has no pink to it.

Suz

o

• Posted by NTT_HOU 8b/9a/NWHouston (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 0:38

Oh, sorry, English Garden is the name of the rose. Whether it's an English style rose or not, I wouldn't know. However, you sure gave me some leads and I appreciate both of your help. The Lullaby looks very much like my miniature "Eskimo" rose tree which I love the pom-pom look :-) Thanks again :)

o

When you go to Help Me Find, take a look at White Charm-it is a lovely cream color and very fragrant.

o

Softee might be the rose for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Softee_TheUncommon Rose

o

• Posted by NTT_HOU 8b/9a/NWHouston (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 23:25

Oh, yes! Softee is just perfect. What a beautiful and elegant color. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here