Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordering Roses for Zone 4

Posted by dpinker1 z4 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 10:30

Hi, I have been looking at the site Uncommon Rose to order a few different roses for my garden. Have you found them to be reliable? I wanted a few different ones and have also noticed many price differences out there. I would love some with 2 colors and purples are my favorite.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordering Roses for Zone 4

I have never ordered from them nor do I live anywhere near your zone, but I would recommend that you contact your local rose society. I'm sure they would be glad to advise you on suppliers, which roses do best in your area and any other questions you may have.

o

Thanks, we don't have many places around me that sell unusual mini plants. Most come from the grocery stores which I am not interested in. I purchased some from a lovely place locally last year but they have closed. How unforunate. I am continuing to look.

o

Yes, The Uncommon Rose is very reliable. You do need to make sure that the varieties you are ordering are winter hardy in your zone, unless you plan to overwinter them in your garage. There are plenty of other excellent vendors, Bridges Roses, Almost Heaven Roses, Nor'East.

o

I gardened in zone 4/5 for almost 20 years and The Uncommon Rose is a good nursery. Nor' East is another good one. Minis are great for your zone because they are on their own roots so even if they have severe winter kill they'll bounce back in the spring. Not all minis are equally hardy. I found some varieties like Starina to be rather tender and others like Irresistible hardy. Others that did well for me up Wisconsin:

Snow Bride
Pierrine
Captivation
Party Girl
Old Glory
Kristin
Red Beauty
X-rated - fragrant
Black Jade - very dark red
Jean Kenneally - one of my favs
Magic Carrousel - heavy bloomer
Pacesetter - very fragrant
Glowing Amber
Golden Beryl
Miss Flippins
Hot Tamale
Fairhope
Incognito - unusual color combo
Gourmet Popcorn - very hardy but acts more like a polyantha than a mini

Linville & Winsome had more winter kill than the others but they came thru the winters. Linville is fragrant too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here