Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzabad

How to save a potted gift rose

suzabad
19 years ago

Although I do not profess to being any type of expert on miniature roses, I find the pretense of having "toss away" roses obscene. That is what some people have called them here on the mini rose forum.

These potted gift roses (also known as grocery store roses) can easily be saved with very little effort.

Things you will need:

A large mixing bowl or bucket

One 6" pot per plant or two 12" pots

Potting soil  it can have slow release fertilizer but NO water crystals

What to do:

1. Fill bowl or bucket with enough water to cover all the roots of the plants

2. Remove rose from pot and place in bowl, let sit for a few minutes

3. slowly "swish" the rose plants back and forth to loosen as much dirt as possible from the roots

4. When you have gotten as much soil off as possible, slowly start pulling the plants apart. Be very gentle so as to break as few roots as possible. The best way is to jiggle the roots around until one of the plants starts tilting. Then slowly pry the roots apart. It helps to return to water every now and then to swish the roots around again. (Note: donÂt worry if you loose some of the roots...there really isnÂt a way to avoid it from happening, especially if there is a strong network of roots growing)

5. When plants are separated, plant one each in a pot or alternatively, several around the perimeter of a larger pot.

6. Water pots and place in a well lit place but out of direct sunlight for a few days.

Notes:

Soil  Use regular, good quality, potting soil. It is ok if it has slow release fertilizer, but no fertilizer is better. Do NOT use soil with water retention crystals. (Although peat moss is ok)

If the plants are waterlogged (the soil from the original pot is soggy and boggy, the leaves are all turning yellow, etc) it is best to withhold water for the first 12 to 24 hours after replanting (this gives the roots a chance to dry out a little and excess moisture will be leached into the new dry soil). After that time, water well to make sure that there are no air pockets from when you potted up. ( Â note: this is after you have put the rose in its new pot, you can still use the bucket of water to separate them)

Keep the newly potted roses out of direct sun for a couple of days. After that, acclimate it to direct sunlight.

Once the rose is established (about 2-4 weeks after repotting) start fertilizing. You can tell if it has established itself when new growth starts forming

Comments (155)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Posted by jwuiske 11 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 3:03

I think those black little canes have already died. Are they not?

• jwuiske
    10 years ago

Jujujojo: When I cut the stems back a couple of days ago on the ones in the green pot, there was still green/almost green on the inside of the stems. Although they look really far gone I am hopeful that they might come back, even if it's by sprouting new shoots instead of growing from the visible sticks.

seil: The healthy one had a dead seedling which obviously died very early on - as I tugged on the brown, 2 inch high stick the whole thing came out and the roots were still in the form of the little seedling cube. On the other hand, the three sickly ones in the green pot had root systems that were about 4-5" long when I took them out and separated them. I certainly was overwatering them, as was evident from the very damp soil I pulled them out of, and the bottom inch or two was that sludgy brown colour. So I trimmed back the roots to about 3-4" on all three, and thinned them of most other really wilted roots. I noticed one plant had a really healthy brand new white thick root, amongst a lot of new fine, white root growth. The other two also exhibited quite a lot of fine white root growth.

We have two balconies, front facing SE and back facing NW. The front has barely any overhead cover, and the morning/day sun is quite hot at the moment and lasts probably until about midday. The rear balcony is in the shade until about 4pm, and up on the table where they're living at the moment they get about 2-3 hours of sunshine, however it's filtered slightly for at least half of that time by tall trees on the fenceline, And, currently, we tend to sit on the rear balcony much more frequently, which means that I'm paying close attention to them. I think this is the primary reason why the healthy one is doing so well, in that although the afternoon sun is supposed to be hotter, it's actually not in this location due to the slight filtering. I think in the winter, by which time they will be stronger (whether the three sicklies make it or whether I get one or two new ones) I will definitely have them on the front balcony. Until it gets a bit cooler and they get a bit stronger, I'm more inclined to leave them where they are, perhaps moving them under the table they're on in a couple of weeks to extend the sunlight they get by about an hour - please let me know if you agree now that you have more information about the locations.

Even though it's hot, I'm going to try watering every two days, not each day, as with the sicklies I wasn't adding much water to them, but would do so each day. And the moisture in that soil was unbelievable (when I repotted). About the middle of today I did as the OP suggested and "drowned" the green pot, tugged on the three sicklies to get rid of any air and patted down the soil around them. I've let them drain without the pot's saucer (the pot has one hole in the bottom, about 3/4" wide). How long until I should water them again? two or three days?

I'll see how they go, if all three survive and thrive, I will likely separate them out into individual pots about the same size as the green pot when they're older.

Now, in this post I'm effectively laying out my plans based on the advice in the previous posts, but I certainly still feel I don't know if I'm right, so any feedback is kindly appreciated!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I think you've done the best you can for them and all you can do is wait and see now. As for watering, don't just water every 2 days like clock work. Check the soil first and see if it needs watering. Depending on the weather and humidity they may not need water that soon. Let the tops of the pots dry out a little bit between waterings.

And check the drainage in the pot. Roses hate having soggy roots. If the bottom of the pot was a soupy brown sludge it was too wet and holding water. If possible try and drill a couple of extra holes in the bottom and DO NOT put any kind of tray under it that holds water. I like to put mine up on something that allows free drainage from all the holes. For large pots I have those wire trolleys but for smaller ones I have some open work kitchen trivets that I use. So the pot is raised from what ever surface it's on and water can flow out of the pot easily.

Even if the first ones don't make it the newer one has a good chance. Just put it in a nice pot about one or two sizes bigger than it's in now, with some good potting soil, put it in the sun and leave it be. These gift roses are pretty much forced to bloom for what ever holiday they put them out for so it's tired. Give it some time to recuperate and don't kill it with kindness (or too much water or fertilizer) and it will come back.

• Plant_lover7
    10 years ago

Help me, my rose keeps wilting, I fertilized it with all purpose water soluble and it kinda dried and died, Some leaves withered and I am new to this, how do I make it better

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Hi, Plant! Don't feel bad. These little gift roses are very difficult to keep alive in the house. They're grown and sold to be disposable like a florist rose.

The first thing you need to do is take off that pretty paper wrapping on it so the pot will drain well and isn't sitting in a pool of water. Put it in the sunniest spot you can find in your house. Find a dish of some kind ( I use a cake tin) and put some pebbles on the bottom. put water in it to just below the top of the pebbles and put the pot on top so the bottom of the pot is not touching the water in the tray. This raises the humidity around the rose. Be careful not to over water it. You want it to be moist be never soggy wet and let it dry out just a touch between waterings. Like the top inch or so should be dry before adding more water. You don't need to do any pruning yet. Just remove the spent blooms.

As soon as it's warm enough get it outside. Roses are not house plants and your little rose will be much happier planted in the ground outside!

• jwuiske
    10 years ago

Well, a couple of weeks on and here's what I have to report:

The saddest little rose sticks you ever did see are no more... I kept looking for any signs of life, then finally today I decided to investigate further. I pulled them out of the pot and there was no sign of new roots. I broke them at the base just above the roots and they cracked - they certainly were beyond saving.

On a happier note, the one that was in the separate pot in the background has new leaf buds EVERYWHERE. Two sets of buds have already emerged into brand new leaf structures, one of which is as large as the one you can see in the photo from 2 weeks ago, the other leaf cluster is about half that size at the moment. And both of these leaf clusters are on the stalk that was completely bare a fortnight ago. I've noticed two of the leaves (one leaf on each of the two large stalks) getting slight yellowing at the tip, so perhaps I'm still adding a bit too much water. But, watering every 2-3 days (even in this heat) seems to certainly be working for this little rose. I'm eagerly awaiting for it to bloom, although that's probably a few weeks off yet. It's still in the same position getting a couple of hours of afternoon sun.

Not sure about repotting it at the moment... if it appears to be happy should I worry about it now?

• sunflowersrus222
    9 years ago

My husband gave me this red mini gift rose for Valentines day. I've gotten them before but never had any luck getting them to make it in the house till spring when I can plant them in the yard. That is till I read this thread. (photo taken this morning 4/6/14)
    I followed the instructions and tips and managed to keep it alive. In fact, the only thing dead on this mini red rose bush was the blooms. You can see there are still a few dead rose petals sitting in the pot at the base.
    I put a plastic food storage container under the pot upside down to elevate the potted rose and keep it from sitting in any water that would drain out the bottom into that white aluminum tub. I kept it watered really well.
    I didn't have it in any direct sunlight at all. In fact, it was 3 feet from a window in my living room. I get very little direct sunlight coming in my windows because of a large porch outside that extends quite a bit.
    As you can see from the photo its doing really well. I'm very happy with it. It was funny how even my husband kept eyeing the poor thing. He thought the dead buds meant the plant itself was dying off. I had to explain to him that with any plant the blooms eventually do die and fall off. But he wasn't convinced lol
    Yesterday it was nice out so I sat it in the yard in an area that got some filtered sunlight and when it got a little cooler out I brought it back inside. I plan on doing this every day till its warm enough to plant it in my yard.
    So ladies and gents, if I can keep a potted gift rose going through the winter in the house for a few months I think anyone can do it. Just follow the directions on this thread. I must have had 5 or more of these in the past 20 years but never till now has one lasted till spring time.
    Just elevate that pot off the base so it drains really well, keep it watered..( I watered mine once a week ) And put it in a spot that gets at least filtered sun. As I said above, mine got absolutely no direct sunlight and still made it. :D

• shenue
    9 years ago

Hi all...last time I posted on this particular thread was back in 08. I was glad to see this thread still going. A few days ago I received a mini as a gift. It has some real problems. At least the bottom 3/4 of each plant (4 in the pot) came with almost all the leaves dead. So I removed all the dead leaves so now there are leaves and some blooms only on the top 1/4 of each plant. The bottom 3/4 of all 4 are now mostly bare. I am wondering if I should do a severe cut-back on all the plants and let them kind of start over. I haven't transplanted them into other pots yet. Will get to that this week. I am in a condo so I can't plant them outdoors. The mini that I mentioned on this thread 6 years ago actually did very nicely potted indoors for about 4 years. Then it died....couldn't save it. Anyway, back to what I have just received. Should I cut them back or leave them as they are...or something in between? Any advise would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Linda
    EDIT: After I posted the above post, I just noticed that most of the remaining leaves are now in varying stages of drooping. I have them in a sunny window but have the sunlight filtered on them for now as they adjust....IF they adjust. I just don't know what to do about these little guys in order to save them. :-(

• shenue
    9 years ago

The leaves are turning yellow today. :-(

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

You did really well, Sunflower! It looks very happy and healthy!

Shenue, yellowing leaves usually means either too much or too little water. Make sure the soil is damp but not soggy and if you have a tray under the pot take it off. I really would recommend that you start acclimating them to the outside as soon as possible. They'll be much happier there. Wait until they seem to be recovering and putting on some new growth then transplant them into a bigger pot or plant them in the ground. I do not recommend trying to separate them because it usually does too much damage to the roots and they die but that's up to you.

• shenue
    9 years ago

Thank you for your advice seil!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

I just wanted to bump this wonderful thread. Thanks to it, I realized I had done practically everything wrong I could with the potted rose I received a few weeks ago. It is very tiny (only a 6cm pot), but resilient. Following seil's advice I have potted up in a bigger pot, cut down the watering and put it outside. I hope it makes it. Would a light fertilizer be good for it once it dries out some?

• amylee163
    9 years ago

Hello, I planted these 4 months ago and they were a miniature pink, lush rose bush but they have been dying and now I'm left with this!! Slowly the roses died one by one and turned brown so I had to keep cutting them off. I did notice a little bit of spider webbing on a few roses so I'm not sure if that's what killed them? My question is... Is there any saving these??? I know they are ugly but the stems are kind of "flexible"

• noacceptance772
    9 years ago

@amylee: I am sorry to break the bad news but it is already long gone :(
    the spider webbing is from spider mites.
    can you give more detail about what you did with this rose within the four months you had it for?

• amylee163
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the reply. I figured they were... But I wanted to see if there was any saving them since they were from my fiances memorial. :( but I do have another miniature rose bush that I hope not to kill again. So this picture was a week or two before the previous picture. I think this was spider mites??? But I was told to dig a hole and fill it with water. So I planted it and watched it for when I needed to water but the leaves were turning yellow and brown? But I was watering but trying not to over water. So home depot told me to get peat moss and miracle grow. So I did an inch of peat moss and fed it miracle grow once a week. Then the blooms were coming in a white color and then falling off. When they turned brown and looked diseased I pruned them but then I was only left with one bloom left.

• amylee163
    9 years ago

This was before the peat moss

• amylee163
    9 years ago

This was after the peat moss and plant food.

• jwuiske
    9 years ago

amylee - I've not long ago gone through the same ordeal. One question for you... When you got it at home depot, was it in airconditioning? Or in normal outside weather? And then, when you got it home, did you pop it straight in the ground or acclimatised it slowly by moving the pot towards the final location over a couple of weeks?
    I've still got one of my 4 roses alive, still in its original small pot for the moment, and it is slowly coming back (it's winter here at the moment so I'm not expecting much for now), but the others I did everything wrong. Reading this whole page of posts is the only reason the fourth one is still alive.

• amylee163
    9 years ago

Jwuiske- I actually got it as a gift so I'm not sure but I had it indoors for about two weeks and then planted it straight in the ground in a hole filled with water. And I'm not sure if I was the one that killed it or if it had a spider mite infestation?? But like I said the leaves turned yellow and brown, then all the leaves started falling off and the stems were turning a purple color under the blooms.

• jwuiske
    9 years ago

Ok, going from indoors at home to outdoors was probably a bit of a shock for it. I had the same happen with mine (in pots) going from indoor/aircon at the store to outdoors on the balcony still in the pot - too much sun too quick. They're delicate little things, unfortunately. But one thing I've learned is that it is SOOOO easy to overwater even when you don't think you're overwatering. I literally give about 1/8th of a cup of water to mine every few days (being winter) and that is enough. Any more than that and it would be too much. And mine had gone down to bare sticks and now I've got new shoots everywhere (keep in mind it's still in a pot, I'll probably plant into a larger pot in the spring). But yeah, with my first three that died I had them in full sun for an hour or two per day straight out of indoors and that was too much of a shock for them. What I did with my fourth one was had it in the shade for 95% of the day whilst it accustomed to the humidity and weather of its new environment, then let it have a bit more sun each day.

• amylee163
    9 years ago

Ooooo, I never thought of that. That makes sense though. So I have these yellow mini roses that I received last week so how long should I adjust them to the sun before planting them? And yeah for me is so hard to tell when they need water. With the one I just received I try to just feel the soil in the pot and unless its dry I don't give it water. Also, should i feed it at all?? Thank you so much

• jwuiske
    9 years ago

Feeding is one thing I haven't delved into yet. I believe yes, but hopefully someone who knows more here will be able to answer that for you.

Re adjusting to climate... Basically, think of what the rose is used to... if you didn't buy it then assume it came from an airconditioned space, to be on the safe side. So a few days indoors, maybe after a couple of days move to a window that gets a little sun for a minimum time in the day, then put it on your balcony or under a tree where most of the day it's in the shade but it gets some filtered sunlight, and then slowly move towards and then sit the pot in the final position. Uprooting the rose is enough shock, so just watch how it's doing as you make each step. My friend, for whom I bought a rose the same time that I bought my three (air conditioned store), put it on a table on her balcony in full shade for about two days and then she's had it sitting on another table that gets filtered morning light (lots of other plants on there so it wasn't getting full sun, just through shady patches) and her rose is doing amazing. She has another in her garden that's well established and it gets similar light, slightly less filtered as there's just a few larger plants around it. My surviving one is on a table where it gets very no actual sunlight hitting it other than in the afternoons (which I'll have to rectify before summer hits as afternoon sun here is superbly hot in the summer). And so far as watering, obviously it will depend on how hot it is etc, and I've got very little practise, but just a little bit of water, as I said I give about an 8th of a cup, when it's dry. But be wary, as the top soil may be dry whilst the bottom is bogged, so either dig your finger in or just do it a day or two after you notice the top soil is dry.
    Hope all of that helps with your new rose :)

• amylee163
    9 years ago

We'll thank you so much for all this information! I'm such a newbie with gardening a few plants I got are turning yellow and brown so I moved them inside and I'm going to try this. I'm glad you saved your rose though. These are my new yellow minis.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Thank you all for such great advice. I purchased this mini at the grocery store yesterday for $2.50.. It is my first rose, I followed all the instructions. I live in an apartment and all my plants are kept in containers, over the winter I do bring my perennials into my screened in porch, Will my mini rose be alright if left on the porch over the winter? Right now I have them under my grow lights until all this stormy weather passes and I can put them out under a tree before they get put into the sunshine. I think they handled being separated pretty well, What do you all think? Thanks again for any & all advice.
    Christine

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

They look very pretty!

• jessie_ray
    9 years ago

I bought a pink Kordana Rose from Meijers last night, right now it looks very healthy! There is just a little yellowing of the very bottom leaves. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to replant them now, or wait for awhile? I currently have blooms! They are kept indoors and I plan on keeping them indoors until next spring.

I don't know what kind they are, as the tag only says "Kordana @Rose"

• Tobylou3
    9 years ago

My rose buds are falling off the stalk just as though someone has bit it and the bud discolours to slight yellow to brown and falls off.

Every one of the roses which bloomed was brown and spoiled from inside. over watering or a pest or??? any ideas?

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

I had no idea this thread was here. I just bought a 'generic' pink rose from the supermarket, where they were outside in the hot, humid 95F sun and thriving, so I will probably leave them outside in the (shaded) front porch and water them with everything else until I can find a pot to put them in.

• thebeatgroover
    9 years ago

Just bumping this thread as I've started seeing Poulsen gift minis in stores this time of year. I bought a few last week and have them separated and growing in a greenhouse. The stems are very delicate when you first get them so be gentle until they lignify starting after 2 weeks in more varied outdoor climate. You'll notice the difference in how soft the old leaves are vs how much stronger new ones are.

Cheaply grown plants (home depot and walmart included) are NOTORIOUS for pests and disease so inspect your roses very carefully and treat any existing issues before repotting/planting them - scrolling through this thread I've seen some pretty nasty mite infestations. I'm torn over what these European breeders have done to miniature roses. On one hand they've turned them into novelties and cheap gifts denying them the dignity, proper care, and lifespan that HTs and floribundas get. But on the other hand it's allowed savvy gardeners to obtain high quality genetics at low prices. I just wish their offerings were a little more universal, I'm desperately looking for an Apricot Hit or Gingerbread Man and they're very difficult to come across (seems like most of the Patio Hit series is like that)

• redfoxy27
    9 years ago

Thank you for this post! My boyfriend and I bought a beautiful little parade rose a few weeks ago and I never thought that it was not meant to survive so when it started to decline I found this post. It has two buds left and is still looking fairly healthy however the pot is extremely tiny so I will repot after the buds either bloom or die, and hopefully I can save these little roses :)

I will most definitely be checking back to this post in the coming weeks and for each new gift rose I acquire.

• Pagans Raven
    9 years ago

Bumping again! And to those who continue to have problems with yellowing leaves - try a small amount of epsom salts in water. Just alittle. Roses need the magnesium as they are heavy feeders. Magnesium helps them to more readily accept fertilizing and put it to good use.

1 TBL epsom salts to one gallon of water.

If you don't need that much then do the math and make less!

• Lauren Evans
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi I brought a white mini rose last year. I've battled with it fighting scale and black fly but it's made it through! It's now very big since I re potted it in the autumn (It was indoors still) but it hasn't had one single bud since they all dropped off when I first got it from over watering. I know it may sound silly but I've become attached to this little bush and I'm hopping to plant it outside in my new garden. (Currently in a nice big pot outside since march) I used multipurpose soil to repot it and it went wild but no buds, havent repotted or any thing sInce i repotted in the autumn. I'm from the uk, northamptonshire if anyone can help me?

Also if anyone could give me a guess on what rose it is as was called a mini rose in store, I think it's a henry hudson.

• aurioh
    8 years ago

Hi all! Is this thread still alive? Anyone still here? I have a lot of questions that I couldn't get answered from research so I was hoping I'd get some help here! one quick question: can the roses get over watered by rain? I thoroughly watered it yesterday (watered from bottom, allowed soil to absorb, repeat until water comes out the drain holes) and found it to be raining this morning. I'm afraid that with it having been watered last night AND rain water, it might get waterlogged. What do you think? Should I bring the rose in from the patio? It's currently sitting on my south facing patio with a little lawn chair over it for some protection.

• dsims38
    8 years ago

Hi there

As long as you dont have standing water in the pot you should be fine. Let the rose enjoy the sun. They are really quite hardy so let it grow. It knows what to do :-)

• aurioh
    8 years ago

Thank you! I have another concern, if you don't mind, on 2 out of my 3 plants, 50% of my stems (split vertically) look like wood. I repotted the roses two days ago, so I was able to check and verify that this wood-like appearance goes all the way down to the roots. Is it canker? Is there anything I can do to help them fight it off? Photos for reference (from before I repotted): http://imgur.com/a/JTvI6

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Is there green higher up on the woody canes? If so then they are fine. As canes age they do get a barky wood look. If there is no growth on them they could be just dead canes that can be removed at any time. Canker is generally a dark brown or purplish blotch on the side of a cane and doesn't look like wood. I didn't see anything that looked unhealthy in your photos.

• aurioh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's a huge relief! Yes, the canes are all very green outside the woody areas. I saw some photos of roses with canker that still looked like they had green foliage, so that's what worried me. Mine look like they are--in my inexperienced opinion--quite full of foliage. I see some new little bunched leafy bits growing near the tops of the plants that are now turning red; how do you tell the difference between the growth of new leaves vs. new buds? I'll post more photos soon if anyone is interested!

PS. Can I just say that I am over the top excited that I'm getting responses? I really want the roses to live and its so exciting to be able to talk to discuss this!

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Post your pictures in a new thread. You might get a better response. Since this is a very old thread some people may not realize there is a new question on it.

Until the bud starts to form you really can't tell. It all just looks like reddish new growth. They all start out so tiny that you have to wait for them to grow a bit to see if there is a bud forming.

• aurioh
    8 years ago

aha, I have! I started another thread prior to commenting on this one, but only received one (very much appreciated) response. I've actually received more responses here than in my own. I'll be updating my own soon, though. Thank you!

• aurioh
    8 years ago

Hi all! New question. Today, I noticed that some of my leaves are more rubbery, shiny, and all around generally richer in color than most of my other leaves. These are on the stem that holds the one rose I currently have in bloom. The other foliage is either 1. not shiny, rubbery, or as dark green; or 2. new foliage that's really really light green and tinged red. Is there any particular reason for the difference in richness and shade?

• Marie
    7 years ago

Hello!! I bought a mini rose a couple weeks ago and up until this evening, it has been looking great! I bought it from an air conditioned store, brought it home, and placed it in a sunny window (it is winter). I have been watering it almost daily in small amounts. 3 days ago, i was advised to water it less often, and i listened. Today I came home, and saw many leaves have died, and my flower buds are yellowing. It is possible some of the leaf loss was due to cats. I hadnot replanted my roses yet. Is it more likely that the sudden dying is due to overwatering, or underwatering? After seeing it in its sad state, i put it in a larger pot. It did not seem to have very soggy soil. I made it easier for the water to drain from now on. I an worried the dying progressed lits today, but had began due to my overwatering. Where should I go from here with taking care of my roses? Thanks!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Miniature roses sold at grocery stores aren't meant to last long, but some make it. Putting it in a new pot was wise. Roses are outdoor plants, so if you have any sunny days, take the plant outside for awhile. Where do you live?

• Marie
    7 years ago

I live in southern ontario

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You have severe weather then. Roses can survive for a time indoors by a sunny window. To help with the low humidity, you can mist the leaves with a spray bottle or place a bowl of water next to the plant. Hopefully a cold zoner can also respond to your question. You might get more responses by posting your question to the rose forum.

• Marie
    7 years ago
    Thank you!!!
  • Marie
    7 years ago

Only a few days after repotting my roses and clipping off the very sad looking parts, my rose bush is looking much better!! I had to clip most of the flowers and buds off my little rose bush, but it seems to be doing much better!!! Thank you so much! Would you recommend cutting healthy roses when being repotted? I tried to attach a photo of my roses. Is the light green color something I should worry about? Thanks again!

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Glad to hear it has perked up! Keep it in as much light as you can. Stop watering it every day. That sounds like too much water. What you can do is mist it everyday to keep the humidity up around it. Or find about a one inch deep tray and fill it with pebbles. Put the pot on top of the pebbles and put water in the tray up to just beneath the pot. Do not let the pot sit in the water but about a quarter inch above it. The water in the tray will raise the humidity around the plant without over watering it. As soon as it gets warm enough take it outside. Roses really don't like being indoors at all.

• Kitty Kovar
    6 years ago

So I received the above rose bushes as a gift. My initial thought was to seperate them but I decided to just transplant into a larger pot. Well after the weekend I noticed yellowing leaves and loss of a bud so turned to this forum. After reading this thread I decided to take the leap.

one plant hand next ro no root ball here is hoping it survives the stress.

the small pot is the pot they came in.

also should I cut the buds off of them?

• poseidonprincess
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you for sharing. Wish I’d read this before I put two in the ground yesterday. I’ve always shared your views about ‘toss away’ plants & it’s why in the six years I’ve been in Canada, I’ve never bought an annual. But in my current growing situation (no access to a yard or garage or basement) I’ve had trouble winterizing my container roses & lost all my plants last year. I’ll be here for another year at least & another gardener suggested that to fulfill my desire for some blooming plants, I could buy minis as an inexpensive way to have some roses around for the summer. That idea opened my mind up to purchasing these ‘disposable’ plants & I’m happy to hear that eventually, I might have a method for keeping them alive. I had no idea that there could be several plants in the one pot!

• HU-247931778
    5 years ago

Hello! I just got my rose bush from one of those ship to your door flower delivery companies for my Birthday. I have read a lot of the comments and see that there is little chance these guys surviving, I still want to try as it was a gift! The pot it came in was pretty small and all the buds were dying and some of the leaves too, so I decided to repot it. With some advise from the internet I repotted it the best I could. Now i feel like it’s dying in earnest. I think I’ve been over watering it so I will hold off until it dries now, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do? I have a northerly facing apartment that gets sun for only a couple of hours in the morning. I took it out today and basically set it in the stairwell where the sun was setting to get more sun for the day. The leaves are mostly wilting and dying with a few spare yellow leaves here and there. Also there are some of the stems that have turned brown and seem very hard. Should I be trimming those back? I trimmed all of the dead leaves but I’m not sure if the stems are supposed to be turning brown like this?

Pictures are below! Thanks for all of your help!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?