Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpauli643

Growing Miniature Bare Root Roses hydroponically

mpauli643
11 years ago

I have an AeroGArden and I'm interested in growing bare root miniature roses hydroponically. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. I haven't started yet.

Comments (3)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I've never heard of anyone doing this but you could give it a try and let us know how it works out!

• SasorisPuppet
    10 years ago

I keep all of my plants Hydroponically, no fancy setups or anything, just pretty vases with plenty of room for roots and a wide opening and weekly or twice weekly water changes fertilized with a tiny bit of black or green tea (normally Lipton or Bigelow bags, never tried instant but I've heard it works well too); so when my boyfriend bought me Minis for Valentines Day they did great for a few days and then started dying and nothing I did helped them, as a last ditch effort I took them out of potting soil then put them into vases of water and they bounced back very well. They were in shock before I transplanted them, and it took probably three days for them to get back to their normal selves, but in a month they went from sickly with very few leaves and no blooms to quadrupling their amount of leaves and growing as much as three inches taller. Some were not doing quite as well as others, so I separated the smaller ones and they are getting better, just much more slowly. So yes, this is a very easy way to keep them, I don't know anything about your system but I'm sure it will work for them too. :) Hope this helps, and I included a picture of the largest two in their vase. The white roots have been coming in the past two weeks, and the brown color of the water is due to the tea I use as fertilizer.

edit: forgot to mention that tea makes the water acidic, so this is only good for plants that like acidic conditions. Also, roses need a dormant period, so either they will need to be transplanted into soil (which is a bad idea where I'm living, soil never fails to grow mold unless my plants are kept dying of thirst :

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by SasorisPuppet on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 9:09

• SasorisPuppet
    10 years ago

newbie to this site so I couldn't figure out if I can put multiple pictures in one post >.> This picture is the ones that aren't doing so well, but since separating them from the other two they are bouncing back beautifully now, one only had 3 leaves when I pulled it out, 4 days after adding tea to their water it has over a dozen small leaves popping out.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored