Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Miniature Bare Root Roses hydroponically

Posted by mpauli643 Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 11:23

I have an AeroGArden and I'm interested in growing bare root miniature roses hydroponically. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. I haven't started yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Miniature Bare Root Roses hydroponically

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:09

I've never heard of anyone doing this but you could give it a try and let us know how it works out!

o

I keep all of my plants Hydroponically, no fancy setups or anything, just pretty vases with plenty of room for roots and a wide opening and weekly or twice weekly water changes fertilized with a tiny bit of black or green tea (normally Lipton or Bigelow bags, never tried instant but I've heard it works well too); so when my boyfriend bought me Minis for Valentines Day they did great for a few days and then started dying and nothing I did helped them, as a last ditch effort I took them out of potting soil then put them into vases of water and they bounced back very well. They were in shock before I transplanted them, and it took probably three days for them to get back to their normal selves, but in a month they went from sickly with very few leaves and no blooms to quadrupling their amount of leaves and growing as much as three inches taller. Some were not doing quite as well as others, so I separated the smaller ones and they are getting better, just much more slowly. So yes, this is a very easy way to keep them, I don't know anything about your system but I'm sure it will work for them too. :) Hope this helps, and I included a picture of the largest two in their vase. The white roots have been coming in the past two weeks, and the brown color of the water is due to the tea I use as fertilizer.

edit: forgot to mention that tea makes the water acidic, so this is only good for plants that like acidic conditions. Also, roses need a dormant period, so either they will need to be transplanted into soil (which is a bad idea where I'm living, soil never fails to grow mold unless my plants are kept dying of thirst :< hence my switch to hydro) after their first season or some other way to safely let them go dormant will be necessary. Everywhere I've looked so far says to just throw them out and get a new one every year but that kind of defeats the purpose lol, so I'm still searching at the moment...

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponic Mini Roses by SasorisPuppet

This post was edited by SasorisPuppet on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 9:09

o

newbie to this site so I couldn't figure out if I can put multiple pictures in one post >.> This picture is the ones that aren't doing so well, but since separating them from the other two they are bouncing back beautifully now, one only had 3 leaves when I pulled it out, 4 days after adding tea to their water it has over a dozen small leaves popping out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smaller Roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here