Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gclavergne

Scentsaional foliage

gclavergne
20 years ago

I received 'Scentsational' from Uncommon Rose and I have to say I think it has the prettiest foliage I've yet to see on a mini--dark green with dark red edges on the newer growth. Unfortunately, the only branch with a bud was snapped during shipping. But, it snapped right where it joined the main branch, so I put it into some water with rooting hormone hoping it will be the start of a new plant. I'm going to experiment with growing minis in hydroculture. It works great with Gardenias, so maybe the minis will love it too.

Comments (8)

• davila42
    20 years ago

I agree that Scentsational is a pretty rose. I have a question for you, though. My Scentsational seems to grow more horizontally than vertically; currently it's got a very sprawly look to it. It's not wanting for light (it's about 2 1/2 ft from a 400 watt metal halide lamp), nor does it look spindly or etiolated. Is your plant also 'relaxed' in its posture?

Thanks,
    Jenny

• gclavergne
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just got them in the mail a couple days ago, and neither one if more than a few inches tall, so it's kinda soon for me to tell. But, it's funny you ask that because I bought two of them and I noticed they look different as far as the direction their branches are facing. One definitely looks more horizontal and the other more vertical. Perhaps they are variable? As soon as they start putting out new growth then I'll be more able to see what their habits are.

• pat_memphis
    20 years ago

I have one in my front yard. It grows more on horizontal. I planted it last year in September. Right now it is around 8" All new growths grow spread out rather than grow vertically.

• davila42
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info, Pat. Scentsational is my first mini, so I wasn't aware that you can have climbers, sprawlers, upright, or weeping cultivars.

Jenny

p.s. I've got two blooms from my plant here on my desk. People keep stopping to admire and sniff. This is one fragrant rose!

• Loribird
    20 years ago

My Scentsational seems to grow more vertically, but I just got it a few weeks ago. The blooms are beautiful as well as smelling great. I really love it.

Lori

• gclavergne
    Original Author
    20 years ago

That's so weird. I just double checked and Uncommon rose definitely describes this one as an "upright grower." Oh well, it doesn't really matter to me as I bought it for the fragrance. I can't wait for my first flowers to have a sniff.

• plantman532000
    19 years ago

I was just wondering if you get your Scentsational growing in the semi-hydro and how it was doing? I have raised some angel wing begonias that way and have been thinking about trying my hand at mini roses in s/h.

• Molineux
    19 years ago

I usually get my minis from the grocery store. However, I ordered Scentsational last year from Uncommon and haven't been sorry. This little rose has lovely mauve colored, perfectly formed blooms that are fragrant (a rarity for a mini). Repeat bloom is excellent and the disease resistance is fair to good (infrequent spraying keeps the foliage clean of black spot). I love mine.

Sponsored