Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Mini's, how did they get so BIG?

greyandamy
13 years ago

Last year they were mini's, little sticks, I seperated them from store bought roses. I kept in pots. This year, they are outgrowing (roots) gallon or a bit larger pots. I cut back top growth earlier just so it was all more level (not that it seemed to matter), but they aren't mini's.. they are like... over 1" tall wide roses, many of them, in pots, with roots that want in even bigger pots. It seems now they'd be ..patio roses... or something...

Do people sell rose seedlings, call them mini's, and then have them get to be.. maxi's???

I can't get over the roots, how big... in one year. How big are your mini's??

Amy

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

"Miniature Rose" refers only to the size of the leaf and bloom, not to the size of the plant. There are "miniature" climbers that can and do get 12 feet tall! Most mini roses need a bigger pot than one gallon. I'd go for at least 10 gallon. Mature plants can range in height from 2 to 4 feet tall and wide depending on the variety. There are a few "micro-minis" that will stay much small and there are also "minifloras" that can get much larger. There is no difference between "patio" roses and "miniature" roses. "Patio" is a trade name used for marketing purposes not a rose classification.

I have the micro mini Cinderella and she stays around a foot tall and wide and she's in a hanging basket. I have several minatures that are a good 3 feet tall every year and a few that get up to the 4 foot range. My miniflora Memphis Blues is 4 foot every year.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Seil For your knowledge (I couldn't find in books!)... Yep, they do need repotted again...

INteresting and thank you for telling me there's no difference between patio and mini's, a garden book was confusing me. It's all about marketing I guess.

I wish I knew what kind I have, but I don't. They were from gifts, I seperated them as per instructions on this forum. Some have triple petals, some double.. only one fragrant. That's all I know. But I'm learning..

You're in my zone, close enough weather wise (I'm Pittsburgh).. do you have yours in ground? Do you have to winter protect?

THANKS SO MUCH!
    Amy

• seil zone 6b MI
    13 years ago

I have some in pots and some in the ground. I do protect the pots heavily for winter but not the ones in the ground. Because I don't have a garage to store the potted ones in for winter they get buried in leaves and wrapped in burlap.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GREAT! All I needed to know about ground protection... pots I'm fine with. THANKS!

• phil_schorr
    13 years ago

There are a few minis that do require protection even when they are in the ground, although as Seil says most of them are fine. Butter Cream is one that seems to need protection. Any that are budded rather than on their own roots will also need some protection. Just piling some mulch and oak leaves around them will do fine.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor