Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too soon to plant?

Posted by austin_addict z5 SE WI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 15:18

I'm new to minis and need some advice. I have the following roses in the tiny grower pots and am wondering how soon I can put them in the ground outside:
-- Tammy Darlene
-- Irrestible
-- Pam Tillis
-- Jeanne la Joie
-- Simplex
One of the Tammys isn't looking so hot so I definately need to repot her, but what about the rest? Can I wait a week or two and simply plop them in the earth or ????? I am in Milwaukee, zone 5.
Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too soon to plant?

Ok, so no one else has answered. I didn't want to because my zone is so different from yours.

Here, I always pot the babies up into gallon containers for a couple of months before putting in the ground. However, I have put 'grocery store' minis directly in the ground with no ill effect, so I would assume you can go straight into the ground when you're ready. Just make sure you keep them wet enough. Even one missed watering can spell disaster with the tiny pots as they are all most likely pretty root bound.

If you think the soil temps are still pretty cool, you will be better off in black gallon pots for a while. They will get warmer during the day than the ground will and this will help stimulate the root growth faster. I think this accounts for why my bare roots do better here when I 'can' them for a couple of months starting in January (our bare root season, if you can imagine) and then put them in the ground in March.

Suz

o

Is the ground workable? I would think so. It is not too bad up here in Green Bay. Check out the Milwaukee Rose Society and see what they say. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Milwaukee Rose Society

o

I hesitated to answer, too. I'm a newbie and in vastly different climate. BUT, I got my first order in those little grower pots 3/24, and potted them up in 6" pots as Nor'East recommended. Today I could see that new roots were already at the holes in the pots, and the plants have doubled in size. So, it might be wise to give them that head start.

o

mljan, you are a fast learner. I used to plant mine right into the ground the first year or so when I got hooked on minis but then I discovered that they do much better if they have been growing in a one gallon pot for a couple of months before putting them into the ground. I think that would be a good move.

o

You have answered my question I was going to ask.I also have a mini thats still in it's little 4inch pot it came in.I guess I should put it in a larger container,as it's getting quite large and has been flowering non stop for a couple of months.I have noticed a few yellow leaves on it the past few days.Would this be because of it being root bound or some other problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here