Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryannt_gw

sweet nothings

MARYANNT
19 years ago

I bought this rose this past weekend. I planted it but all the blooms have drooped. Also, does anyone else have this and does it perform well. I hope it resist blackspot I live in eastern NC and it gets bad around here sometimes. I loved the smell of this rose!! This is my miniture any special instructions for me.

Comments (5)

• cindi
    19 years ago

I like Sweet Nothings alot. I like it better than the famous parent. LaMarne. Does JP call this rose a mini? This is not a mini rose. It does have a small bloom. This is polyantha or should be. Maybe JP is calling it a shrub. And its true. A poly does grow a lot like a shrub. But...so do some minis. Little and big shrubs..

LaMarne is very high rated down here. It is a rose that needs full sun and not a lot of shade for its blooming machine to work. Its a great rose. But it for me bleaches its color out most of its blooming season. Zone 7, your zone too Lamarne would bleach out for a spell. But your heat spells are not as long and intense as Texas can be. It drains the color out of some roses and without lots of water to shrub like roses whom lots do not pamper like minis and hts they seem to protect themselves maybe......and shut down. Come back fine but just slow down till someone gives it water or nature cools itself down or rain comes again.

I have 6 SN planted around a Weeping China Doll tree. I water good and faithful. My Sweet Nothings are none stop bloom. And the smell even last in a 100 degrees. Does not spread far but there. The little flowers stay nice colored too. Sort of a gradual lost but its stays fine and you do not notice it until it starts being cooler again. Sweet Nothings is a great landscaping rose to me. When I really want here to show off and not have a lot of good stuff in the summer to make a show. Me. I give it a little hair cut. Lay on a lot of water. Give her a does of some rose fertilizer. Lay more water on her. She does not know if its summer or fall. I cut mine all the time with shears. One reason though I do cut her lots is because I have to make sure that WCD gets her whole space.

• cindi
    19 years ago

If I am not mistaken. But seems its true. Sweet Nothing has Lamarne and International Herald Tribute seedling as its parents. IHT would account for the color and smell.

• MARYANNT
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for all the information. The smell is what attracted me to it. I placed it where you will have to walk by in on the way to the front door of my house hoping everyone will be able to smell it.

• Laura_TX8
    19 years ago

I bought one last weekend also at Northhaven Nursery in Dallas. It was the most wonderful ride home, my car never smelled better. However, out in the yard I have to get close to smell it. I put it in a large pot for this first season until I learn more about it. I'm so happy someone else here has this rose. I believe it was called an English Miniature which I have not heard of before.

• Laura_TX8
    18 years ago

Cindi,
    How large are your Sweet Nothings?

Sponsored