Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studaddy_gw

Baldo Villegas

studaddy
15 years ago

I am excited about Whit Wells' new Mfl, Baldo Villegas. I have planted two this spring and wonder if anyone is growing this rose. Whit tells me this IS his best yet! Any thoughts?!

Comments (11)

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

I just looked it up on HMF. That is a beautiful Mfl and fragrent too. I have heard that is unusual for a Mfl. Where did you get yours from. I noticed there were 3 nurserys that carry the rose.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

Please be aware that Whit Wells just changed the name on Welvill/Baldo Villegas. He changed it to Welmonty/Monty's Joy. He has just registered another rose as Welvill 0604 with the sales name of Baldo Villegas. The new one is white with red edges, while the original was a mauve to pinkish blend. The original had an intense fragrance, while the new one only has a slight scent. If you have the original mauve to pinkish one with the good fragrance, the name on it has been changed to Monty's Joy.

• studaddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the 0604 variety. Whit told me that he changed the name because the Monty's Joy variety did not perform as well for Baldo in California. I purchased the rose directly from Whit in Brighton, TN. I look forward to seeing this new miniflora.

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

This makes is very confusing when trying to order roses. I really liked the rose named 'Baldo Villegas' on HMF. So is that rose now 'Monty's Joy'?

• harlane1
    15 years ago

Phil I did not think we could use numbers in our code names? Is ir now allowed?
    Frank B

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

Frank, we have started allowing numbers in the names as long as they are not the only thing in the name. We would still prefer that the code name be just words, but if you must use numbers in addition to the words we have agreed to allow it. However, you can't mix letters and numbers as you might in a computer password since the registered name must be pronouncable. 1ben26fr, for instance, would not be acceptable. As I said, we would rather you just use words, but adding numbers isn't completely ruled out when necessary.

• studaddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The rose on HMF is Baldo Villegas.

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

I guess I should expand upon my last post above. The Registration Committee of the ARS, which is the international registrar for roses (ICRA-R), is required to follow the naming rules set out in the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants, published by a committee of the ISHS. The latest edition was published in 2004. In that edition the rules state that registered names are limited to 30 characters, which can be a combination of letters, numbers and permitted punctuation marks or symbols. The name cannot be just a single letter, and cannot be all numbers. It also says the name has to be reasonably pronouncable. The rule allowing the inclusion of numbers was effective January 1, 1996.

The Registration Committee of the ARS (ICRA-R) is required to follow these rules when considering registered names. Thus the decision to allow numbers in the names was not just something we decided on our own to allow, although it may have sounded that way in my previous post.

• mandyy12
    15 years ago

Good to know.I like th MF Baldo Villegas that is shown on HMF.
    I was not aware that # could be included when regitering a plant.

Bill

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

We would rather that hybridizers not use numbers in the registered names, but clearly if someone really wants to do it for some reason we have to follow the rules. Please don't do it unless you have a very good reason, since I think rose names should be names and not numbers.

• studaddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those numbers are Whit's own numbers he uses to keep up with his seedlings. Although, he does have one on the market with numbers in the name--Best of '04.

Sponsored