Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Mini rose self seeding?

cindywhitall
15 years ago

I have had a miniature rose planted outside for about 4 years now. It is very happy and is a good 2-3 feet tall. I cut it back in late winter and now it is all leafed out and pretty. I don't know what kind it is. I got it at the grocery store one year and put it outside after a while.

Anyhow, this spring I have found 3 new plants that seem to be this same mini rose. One is about 20 feet away, around a bend and the others are about 12 feet away, across a sidewalk and up in a different bed. One is about 6 inches tall or more with several branches (canes?) about 8 branches I'd say, the other is one "branch" about 8 inches high. THat one is more hidden behnd a bushy vinca vine, and there seems to be a teeny tiny baby nearby too.

Did my mini rose seed itself? Does it need another rose to pollinate the seeds before it can grow from seed or what? I do have a few other roses, one right near the mini rose, I don't know what kind it is, but it is normal size and on the other side of the house I have a couple of "knock out" bushes.

I just wondered what happened here as this is the first year I've found any babies.

Comment (1)

Sponsored