Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetapetite

Help! Can my miniature roses be saved?

neetapetite
10 years ago

Hi everyone!

I received my order of 2 bareroot Coffee Bean Miniature Roses from Gurney's around a month ago. It was terribly cold in NYC last month so I followed their suggested instructions as to how to I should keep the roses until they could be planted.

This is the link: http://www.gurneys.com/product/coffee_bean_miniature_rose

I put each of them in 24" window box planters with 6" height 1-2weeks ago since the weather was warming up. I noticed they had brown spots and some stems were blackened so I am now worried! I did check them upon arrival and they looked like that as well. They do have one shoot growing on each of them however.

I'm relatively new to gardening so any tips and pointers would be well appreciated!

Comments (8)

• neetapetite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up

• neetapetite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• bobbyb123
    10 years ago

yes it is still alive, roses are pretty tough. here's a few pointers
    Make sure that window box planter has a good amount of drainage holes on the bottom.
    Don't let the soil dry out, water when the top of the soil feels almost dry then give the plant a good deep in watering
    Give it as much sun as possible and just let it wake up. when it begins to have a couple of sets of leaves emerge you can give the plant halve doses of fertilizer. but mainly don't stress to much, there seems to be some green stem left and the worst of winter is passed. give the plant plenty for sun don't let the pot dry out and six weeks from now the plant will be growing like a weed. Also, after it wakes up whatever looks dead you can prune off.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm not sure a 6 inch deep pot will be big enough for any length of time but you can start them out in that. As they get larger you may need to go up in pot size.

That looks like cold weather die back on the tops of those canes. I don't know where you are but in my zone 6 it's way too soon for them to start growing. In a normal year I would have started pruning but it's just been too cold this year. I do see some nice fat buds on the bottom of those canes.

Yes, lots of drainage is important. Roses hate to sit in water. Prune off all of the dead wood. If you don't it will continue to die back. Be patient. When it really does start to warm up they should take off.

• Saurabh Singh
    9 years ago

Just prune the dead canes and let only the greener part be there. Water + sunlight + patience is what you'll need to get back this rose.

The roses will surely live back and bloom big babies !

• Laurel Zito
    8 years ago

Those roses are on their last legs. I don't think there is very much hope. You have cane die back, but if you cut off all the brown parts, you won't have almost any cane left, but you have to cut off the brown parts. If I am wrong and they recovered let me know. I just added coffee bean.

• Laurel Zito
    8 years ago

Yes, it looks really great. It had some rust but it responded will to treatment.

Sponsored