Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_gw

How close planting some of these new Mini Floras

cindi
19 years ago

I am staying at a stand still sort of hesitate to put roses in the ground and gotta get some roses in the ground. But. Got more than I really meant to get on the mini flora status. But I want them.

What is the closest you would plant a mini floria. Some of the ones that I already have have actually grown higher than wider.

Some have looked like they should be floriabundas.

If your repeating a MF can you grow them closer.

I need the closest that I can get and still be on the safe side. They got to get in the ground or I got to start giving roses away again. I would really like to keep them. I just do not want to pot grow. Not if I can help it.

Comments (7)

• pete41
    19 years ago

Most of mine are 3ft+ wide so I go with 5ft c-c to leave a little room for my old bones.

• cindi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I do not want them to be 3 foot centers. If I do that I got to make a new bed. A new bed means tending to another bed. I do not want that. I want them and you to tell me they can go two foot and some a little less.

I want my roses too. I want you to tell me that its fine. All they will do is grow up. I can cut off sides.

• pete41
    19 years ago

You can because mine are all multicane types.You could get away with 2foot centers but I would let them grow and then choose your favorites and replant.They look much better allowed to grow naturally then crowded.I love the mini-floras and tall growing miniatures.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Dear Cindi, which ones are you looking at? Ferrin will need 3 foot centers, it's a floribunda in disguise. You may be able to get away with 2 feet with a couple of the others. Conundrum (a fav of pete's too), I'm not sure, it looks like it wants to spead more, but it might go upright.

• desertratrose
    19 years ago

Well, if you want another opinion, I have most of my HT's, Gr's & Fl's on 2 foot centers. I pay close attention to the heights they are supposed to reach and plant back to front, tall to short accordingly. It gives me a gorgeous, layered, very full look, but also explains why I don't try to 'blend' my colors. I want to know if I'm cutting a bud off Veteran's Honor or Ingrid Bergman without tracing stems.

Suz

• cindi
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Diane. Well. I dug up lots of minis. Some that I lost tags for and ticked. Some I just resoiled and like starting over. But I still got lots of minis that I got last fall. Lots of Wells. Lots of Robbies. Franks. A couple of Clemons. Bridges. Both of Bob Martins.

Some I got on fortuniana too. You know. I got my Giggles close. Like paired. Big Girls. But then I space the next set of roses. Anyway. I keep them clean inside. I cut off any canes that are not 95 percent A+. We live together fine with other roses.

Then there are roses like, I lost tag but I think its Spring a Comin'. Got it from Robbie I am almost sure. Think its a Wells rose though. Anyway. I do love that rose. Its a perfect rose for children. Its almost throneless. But a rose that grows like that hogs and really gets too wide for this garden. I would like roses that grow like that...wide and sort of lax and free be moved to a separate garden.
    Roses that are stiffer and large and up growing I can handle the cut back and controlling. I think.

Then I got a Mary Maud in there on fortuniana that I am fearful of moving that is a monster. I want it too moved out to more garden rose. Its such a heavy bloomer and so faithful I want to keep it.

I grown new minis in two and 3 gallons since fall and not really feed a lot. Waiting to put in the mini garden that are for more exhibiting type roses. But I still do not know the personalities. I sure hate planting and then moving. Sure wish I could see these in gardens. But can't.

I just am going to have to plow me another spot. I see no way out of it. I am not going to pot grow. Too hard.

Seems reading the parents of some roses helps understand some personalities. Like most Franks off springs I can picture. But other breeders I not figured out. Lots of Robbies grow Tall and not hog. But that does not mean won't.

I guess if you do not see these roses than pot growing or spacing is playing it safer huh.

Planting sure was simplier when a mini was a mini and you knew a mini. But. These mini floras are so pretty.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Cindi, well, you've got to have them, I simply won't allow you not to! Now, I'm the queen of planting close together, I've tried to be better, but I'm out of space until I get more lawn tilled over. So, I'm tucking things in where I can. Butter Cream has stayed pretty small. conundrum, I looked at again this morning, I don't know if it will stay in a 2' boundary, this year will tell. Ferrin, no. You may be OK with some of the others. Before you go through all that trouble of digging a new bed (unless you were going to anyway, I see you with a shovel in your hand already), try some in the bed you have, and see how much they grow.