Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant deeper into the garden?

Posted by mljan z10CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 21:26

I potted my first minis up into 6" pots as Nor'East directions said. I saw in this forum several recommending they be planted deeper than grower had them, but couldn't do that in 6" pots. Now when I transplant to the garden or bigger pots, should I still do it? How much deeper? Do I bury the "crown", where the first branches divide?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant deeper into the garden?

I've done both, leaving it at the same level as they were in the pot and deeper. Both work very well. Yes, bury the crown but not too deep. All that much more area to send out roots from :)

Suz

o

I plant mine the same level they were in the pot and I think of a "crown" only in a grafted rose. Since you are in such a warm climate, am not sure what would be gained by planting them deeper.

o

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try planting some of them deeper and see. I noticed that a couple seemed kind of thin-stemmed at the soil level, so maybe some more roots for stability would be good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here