Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poor little grocery mini not taking off

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 21:53

I saved a grocery mini (I assume it's one of the Parade types) from being tossed and brought it home. It had no flowers, and all the leaves dropped off from not having been watered. The canes of the 4 plants were green. I put it in a window and kept it moist. Three of the 4 canes are still green, and 2 of them are putting out new leaves. The leaves have what appears to be slightly lighter green dust on some of them. Is this the sign of a pest? If so, what can I do to save this poor little guy and make it thrive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poor little grocery mini not taking off

Plant it outside. It isn't getting enough light or humidity inside. The "dust" may be the start of powdery mildew.

Scroll down the main Mini page and find the thread "How to save a potted gift rose" for more information.

o

I say plant it outside too. I've never had any of those grocery store minis, even healthy ones, do well indoors even in the sunniest of windows. Planted outside, they almost always do great. I use ortho, disease, fungus and insect spray on mine, it works systemically. I've been using a new granular rose food and disease control as well, that goes on the soil.

o

I have one I just got. I have it in my greenhous (little one in the livingroom) under (right under) a very good grow light, that is (about 2.5 ft under yet another grow light) It seems to be thriving. Can't put it out now or a freak frost might get it. Is this an ok situation for about one more month? or do I risk it?

o
UPDATE: Poor little grocery mini not taking off

I put the mini outside about 10 days ago. The leaves are definitely bigger. The powdery mildew (which I was hoping the sunshine would cure) is still there, but not on the new leaves. I think the mini is much happier outside than inside, but needs time and sunshine to make a comeback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here