Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing New Beds/ Organic Matter

Posted by dchezbot 7a OK (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 21:54

Me and my wife just got married in December and moved into a small rent house that had a yard in terrible shape. I have decided to take on gardening as a hobby; I have been reading a lot and really enjoying it, but today I got in way over my head. I guess I read just enough to get me in trouble. I am only trying to set up three small flower beds totaling around 100 sq ft. I am wanting to plant some miniature roses and some different companion veggies.

I have purchased
3) Denver's Dream
1) Montana
2) Cupcake
1) Busy Bee
1) Mystery Rose that was unlabeled but a very healthy looking plant at the store

I have had my soil tested and everything is good except my Nitrogen which is at 5lbs per acre instead of the suggested 60.

I have read that a ratio as high as 50 percent organic compost to 50 percent original soil can be good for roses. So I went a little crazy at Lowes today.

I ended up coming home with
3 CF Peat Moss
Two 40 lbs bags of Mushroom Compost
Seven 40lb bags of Peat Humus
Fifteen 40lb bags of Cow Manure
2 CF of Cotton Burr

I am in Oklahoma and have neutral clay soil.

I also meant to buy Ammoniom Sulphate, but ended up coming home with Aluminum Sulphate. I plan to return that tomorrow and get the 4lbs of Ammoniom I meant to get.

What should I return? What should I have bought? Can I use the cow manure. I meant to get cow manure compost, but somehow ended up with a trunk full of cow manure instead.

Please help. I'm over my head in manure!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing New Beds/ Organic Matter

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:08

Wow! You did go a little nuts. I'm sorry I can't help you with soil information but if you do a search on here about it I'm sure there will be plenty of threads with loads of info. Or try posting this question on the regular rose forum where there is a lot more activity. I'm sure some people will be able to help you.

o

Thanks Seil. I'm new to gardenweb and actually found the soil forum after I posted this. Got a lot of great suggestions on the post on that thread. In case anyone else runs in to this apparently I didn't go that over board. For a full new bed the amount of stuff I purchased is appropriate as long as I mix it in deep enough. I was told to just return the Aluminum Sulfate and not worry about adding any chemicals until I see how things grow after adding all the organic matter. Excited to get my minatures in the ground this weekend!

o

You're mini's should love their new home. Don't get upset if some of the mini's don't grow a lot the first year. They will be growing roots the 1st year. Most of my mini's don't really start to grow good (as far as I'm conserned) until mid way through their 2nd year. Then "boom".

o

You should do quite well with a ;lasagna' bed. It's a lot of fun and it works also. run a search on it be the easiest garden you've created.

o

Congrats on your new hobby. I agree not much growth the first year but they make up for it.

I use the bayer rose treatment all in one and apply it once every 6 weeks. that takes care of fertilizing, pests and diseases common to roses.

My beds are a mix of Virginia clay and homemade compost. I do scratch in sulphur at the beginning of spring and at the end of fall each year. The sulphur is easily displaced and I know that my soil in the flower beds is pH neutral when nothing is added to them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here