Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchezbot

Preparing New Beds/ Organic Matter

dchezbot
10 years ago

Me and my wife just got married in December and moved into a small rent house that had a yard in terrible shape. I have decided to take on gardening as a hobby; I have been reading a lot and really enjoying it, but today I got in way over my head. I guess I read just enough to get me in trouble. I am only trying to set up three small flower beds totaling around 100 sq ft. I am wanting to plant some miniature roses and some different companion veggies.

I have purchased
3) Denver's Dream
1) Montana
2) Cupcake
1) Busy Bee
1) Mystery Rose that was unlabeled but a very healthy looking plant at the store

I have had my soil tested and everything is good except my Nitrogen which is at 5lbs per acre instead of the suggested 60.

I have read that a ratio as high as 50 percent organic compost to 50 percent original soil can be good for roses. So I went a little crazy at Lowes today.

I ended up coming home with
3 CF Peat Moss
Two 40 lbs bags of Mushroom Compost
Seven 40lb bags of Peat Humus
Fifteen 40lb bags of Cow Manure
2 CF of Cotton Burr

I am in Oklahoma and have neutral clay soil.

I also meant to buy Ammoniom Sulphate, but ended up coming home with Aluminum Sulphate. I plan to return that tomorrow and get the 4lbs of Ammoniom I meant to get.

What should I return? What should I have bought? Can I use the cow manure. I meant to get cow manure compost, but somehow ended up with a trunk full of cow manure instead.

Please help. I'm over my head in manure!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA