Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddybailey_gw

What's wrong with my minature roses?!?! (pics included)

buddybailey
18 years ago

They were gorgeous when I bought them 5 days ago. The leaves were gorgeous and glossy and green. But not some of the leaves have turned brown/ yellowish brown.

They are in a spot with tons of direct sunlight, in my front yard and they have gotten plenty of water(from me, and it has rained).

What's wrong with them? I don't want to go to the trouble of planting them if they are diseased. I've included some pictures of the brown leaves. It had just rained, so that's why there are water droplets.

Thanks for your expert opinions!

Comments (8)

• Desert_Son
    18 years ago

Where'd you buy em? I suspect they haven't been used to direct glaring sunshine yet. Plant them, prune off affected leaves, keep watering the s**t out of them, and be surprised if they actually reward you by living and producing flowerettes for you!

• buddybailey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I bought them at a local supermarket(Giant). They were so pretty and healthy and strong looking that I decided to put them in my yard.

Of course, I can return them if I need to. What do you think are the chances they will live?

• laura1
    18 years ago

before I read desert son's answer I thought "heat". But I was thinking not so much direct sun light, although that could be, but it got too hot for them especially if they were in a bag or plastic.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

OK, they will be fine. They were grown in a greenhouse. As desert_son said, they have never seen or felt the heat of sunlight until you put them outside. The leaves are burning. When plants like this are bought (or we receive them from vendors), it is advised to "harden them off" by only exposing them to sunlight a couple of hours a day, increasing the time over a week or two, until they can stand full sunlight. The rest of the time keep them in a sheltered area, or someplace with dappled shade. On a porch would be good. They look very healthy otherwise, the roses in the Parade series are a pretty sturdy bunch.

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

I thought 'sunburn' too. Many years ago back up north I tried to grow minis indoors with sorry results. When spring came I planted them out in full sun and those leaves looked similar to yours but mine were worse! They soon produced nice green leaves and were fine.

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

I bought a mini rose at walmart. It is beautiful but the leaves are turning yellow. Is there anything I should do to stop that ?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

clairdo2, it would be better if you started a new thread so that more people are see your question. Where do you have the plant now, indoors or outdoors? How much are you watering it? Minis really want to be planted outside like other roses. These plants were grown in a greenhouse with great lighting and watering on schedule. Inside of your home doesn't have enough light. A few people are successful growing them inside, but they require a lot of light. Also, it might be overwatered or underwatered.

Go back to the main "Miniature Roses" page and do a search on "indoors", you'll find a few threads that discuss this issue.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Hello buddybailey,
    Looking at your photos, it looks like sunburn.
    Here are a few tips :
    #1 : Never ever put a new mini in full sun for at least one week. Then an hr or two sun per day. Mine stay in the shade for two full weeks. Your minis probably came out of a greenhouse. Of course you can only do that when you plant them into pots and can move them around..
    # 2 : Go easy on fertilizer !!! I never fertilize mine for the first two weeks. First only half strengh for two weeks than you can go full strengh. Also remember, when it calls for a teaspoon of water soluble fertilizer only a level spoon and not heaped !!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Sponsored