Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shenue

pots

shenue
16 years ago

I am going to transplant the little rose bushes that were given to me as a gift the other day. There are about 5 or 6 of them in a 4" pot. I read the string about saving grocery store mini rosebushes but I have a question that doesn't seem to be answered there. I'm trying to find out what kind of pots are best to use. Such as plastic vs. whatever? The string about saving these kinds of roses is very helpful but nothing about the kinds of pots that are best. And how deep should the pots be. The other string said 6" pots but I'm not sure how deep they should be. And I must put them into pots because I live in a condo. When the weather is warm enough, they will go outside on our porch. Any help and info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Linda

Comments (4)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

ARe you going to move them back inside for the winter?

Eventually a 6" pot won't be large enough. Some minis become very large. You'll want them to be at least 12" deep, larger as the plant grows.

I use plastic pots, ceramic and terra cotta break.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

A good type are light colored plastic that have a section in the bottom that holds water...

You don't have to water them as often, black plastic often overheats, and decorative ceramic pots can get very heavy to move back and forth from inside to outside...

• shenue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

diane and decobug..thank you both for the responses to my questions.
    Well, I bought 8" pots tonight. I got light colored plastic with the water reservoir in the bottoms. I'm just not sure about wintering them over outside on the porch or not. It might be easier just to bring them in. I wonder what would be better for the bushes though. What is the care if they are brought in for the winter. Will they go dormant inside like they do outside? Or will they simply stay leafed-out (possibly bloom) and get cared for the same way as when they are outside during the Spring and Summer? I really am very uninformed about all this. Years ago I had some rose bushes but they were the normal size and got planted in the ground and did their thing each season. I didn't have to do much of anything to them and they bloomed like crazy every year. But I know these mini's are a whole different ballgame. I've always had them die very quickly when I've gotten any. But I would sure like to see these live! Any additional help or any questions answered would be so much appreciated from anyone.

• lilgreenfrog
    16 years ago

Hi!

My climate (indoor and out) is different than yours, but here are my thoughts:

If the pots are protected in the winter, the roses should go dormant and overwinter just fine outdoors. You could also move them into an unheated garage. If you don't get much precipitation, maybe give them a little bit of water while dormant.

Bringing them in is an option, and they will keep their leaves, but they will need lots of light and care from you. You'll need to protect them from spider mites, which LOVE to suck on indoor roses, especially if it's warm and dry in your house. This generally entails putting the roses in a sink and hosing them down every week or so. There are lots of other threads on this, I believe.

So, it depends on how long your winter is (spraying down roses gets old after 4 months of winter) and how vigilant you want to be regarding bugs. It may be easier on you and your roses to let them be dormant. However, do get another opinion from a zone 7 person...

Best,
    Lara