Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tavimh

New rose and already planning for winter

tavimh
10 years ago

I've been wanting a mini rose for a while now to have in a container for enjoying in the garden or in the greenhouse (We'll see where it likes it best). I was planning on ordering one since the typical no-smell generic ones I've seen around don't appeal to me. Today at the garden center my mother and I hunted down the mini roses - just to look - and found the perfect one! We found constellation, a cream/white that smelled so glorious we bought two (one for her, and one for me).

We want these roses to last years and years and years. Should we sink them into the ground outdoors (in pots) and mulch them for winter? Would they like to stay in the greenhouse? (we're aiming to keep it above 50 degrees, but we may settle for above freezing here in zone 5)

I understand that dormancy is important, but how long do they need to be dormant? May we bring them into warmer conditions after a couple months and enjoy an early spring?

Comments (4)

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Really colder than average winters, or late cold fronts, could still kill the plant, even if it is normally OK. Even a plant on the north side instead of south side could be a difference that lets a rose bush die instead of survive the winter (the north and south side are just examples). A plant in a pot is also more exposed than a plant in ground.

The main guarantee, as long as you are patient and take it out when it is safe, is to try to overwinter the plant if you can.

But barring that, it's definitely a good idea to split off 2 plants to different households and hope for good results.

Along that line, you can also propagate the rose plant (as long as there was no legal issue about it) and try it in all different spots and arrangements.

What's great about getting one plant that you particularly like is that, if it propagates well, or you have the means to propagate it in other ways, then you can have even more of the same plant.

• tavimh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm a little confused on what you think the best method is for getting it through the winter. We have some sheltered spots where we could put it in ground for the winter, or there is the greenhouse which should be warmer (but is it too warm?).

I do keep plants inside under t5 lights, and I plan on adding more lights this winter. I'd love to keep the rose indoors, but from what I've read roses are not indoor plants. Maybe I can take some cuttings and try the plants in a few spots.

• tavimh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by Tavimh on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 15:14

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I over winter all my potted roses, including minis, outside because I don't have a garage or big enough greenhouse. They are packed in leaves and wrapped in burlap on the south side of my house. For the most part they do pretty well there. This winter, of course, may be the exception to that. Most people over winter potted roses in an unheated garage. I don't know about that greenhouse at 50 degrees. It may be too warm and they may not go dormant and continue to grow in less than ideal conditions. The only thing I will stress is that you have to keep them watered all winter no matter where you keep it. Even in the garage and dormant it still needs to be watered about once a month.

Roses don't have to have a dormancy. It isn't mandatory,. Roses in warm climates continue to grow year round. But roses do not like to be indoors either. It is "possible" to keep them alive inside but it isn't probable and would take a great deal of effort and special conditions to do so. Even then I wouldn't make any guarantees. Roses are not house plants and just really prefer to be outside.