Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini roses or bougainvillea?

Posted by georgiapeach365 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 23:59

I realize that this is an odd question to be asking in this forum but here goes - which do you think is the easier to grow .. mini roses or bougainvillea? I just discovered the bougainvillea and find that it doesn't have all the drama that goes along with roses. Any comments on this one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini roses or bougainvillea?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 9:47

Why not both? Can't grow bougainvilla here but I love it and sure would like to grow some.

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Sat, May 4, 13 at 19:38

Bougainvillea can grow larger than all but a very few roses, given a happy enough location and time. There are plants in Southern California that are over 100 years old that cover huge old buildings - square acres of flowers in the summer! But they don't handle the cold like roses can. Worse thorns than roses - like the ones on citrus trees...

Do a lot of research, so you can make a well informed decision about which will do best in your specific location, and which appeals more to you.

o

Bougainvillea are beautiful but they can get extremely large and even intrusive at times. They have wicked long thorns (like 2in long) so pruning them is quite a challenge. They are not too cold hardy either so make sure they can withstand the temps in your area. (They may not get too large if they die back every year but I wouldn't know since I live in a frost free area). Also bougainvillea flowers don't make good cut flowers nor are they fragrant as roses are. But they sure are easier to care for. Just plant and forget! Also bougans might not flower all season long. Look into your area and see. In my zone they flower all year but in the hottest summer months they take a break.

o

I would repeat the warning above about them not being cold hardy - even here in my zone 9 area, we get too cold for them in the Winter. They cannot stand ANY freezing temps. Several of my neighbors have tried to plant them, but they all died except one which is on the south wall of a sheltered patio area. They grow great in San Francisco, which has much cooler Summers than we do, but also much milder WInters.

Roses are way more cold hardy, even the most tender teas and chinas.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here