Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeninthesky

Is this a scentsational?

gardenInTheSky
10 years ago

Hi all, I ordered a scentsational from twoSistersRoses awhile back, and received my rose in the mail shortly once they'd determined that the weather was ok.

It was healthy and all when I got it, and had a little garden tag stuck it that proclaimed it a scentsational. There were no buds on it at the time, so I just planted it and eagerly awaited my future lovely smelling flowers.

Now I finally have a blossom, but ....it's not what I expected at all. It's a pink color, for one thing, and it doesn't smell like much at all. If I stick my nose to it and take a good deep sniff, the fragrance I can get out of it is about the same as my grocery store bought parade roses. It did catch a pretty uh..enveloping case of what I think is powdery mildew, but I don't know if that would cause such a dramatic change in what the internet tells me scentsationals are supposed to be like.

There were a couple other blossoms starting to open this morning, and although I didn't get a picture I would swear they were somewhere between pink and very light peach-orange. It's a pretty color....but not what I expected.

Can the conditions a mini-rose is grown in change it so dramatically? I did email the sellers to ask, but I sent my first email with an attached picture last Saturday, and then a picture-less one later in case the first was deleted, but I still haven't heard back from them yet. Has anyone ever received a mislabeled rose from them?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I can't say if that's Scentsational or not but weather and soil conditions can effect a roses color and scent. Also the fact that this is a very young plant may be part of it. Maybe wait until the next blooms open and then email photos to Two Sisters and ask them.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Scensational is a Mauve color, and it does smell great.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Give it some time. Mini took over a year to really starting to impress me. Like Dan Keil said, It is a mauve blend that smells great.

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

Might be Overnight Scentsation or even Seattle Scentsation since Scentsational is a high-centered mauve blend. It does take a full season for a lot of minis to really strut their stuff. Powdery mildew is common to all of the Scentsational series but it makes Moonlight Scentsation absolutely ethereal. Probably one of the only roses to improve in beauty with disease, lol.

• gardenInTheSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ken-n, a whole year!? I guess I better be patient.

Now the powdery mildew-infested leaves have all fallen off / died, and I have a new bunch of growth coming in. I also had a new bloom, which was still pink. We've had plenty of sun and my nearby Angel Face is its regular color. When I sniffed it while on the balcony in the evening (when the pictures were taken) there was a sweet, almost fruity scent coming from it! I was pretty excited about it although still confused about the color. The next morning, the blossom had opened farther and the scent was gone. Not sure what to think about it now.

I did hear back from the seller, and she gave me some advice (including water less, who'd have thought) and told me to keep her updated.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

OK. I'm about to think you don't have Scentsational. The foliage is way off. The foliage on Scentsational is small. It looks like you're foliage is a little large. Plus my blooms were never that pink. Is there any mauve to the blooms at all?? Right off hand I don't know what you have, but take care of it and enjoy. I'd also contact the seller and ask for the correct rose.

• bob_71
    10 years ago

This is a photo of Scentsational in my garden. Hope it helps you confirm that yours is, or isn't what you ordered.

Mine is fragrant.

Bob

• bob_71
    10 years ago

This is a close-up of the foliage.

Bob

• gardenInTheSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Bob, your scentsational's beautiful! Thanks for putting up the photos, I could only mostly find pictures of the blooms online. That's definitely a whole 'nother shade of bloom and foliage than my plant. Mine never got dark green or glossy.

I've actually just received a new plant from the seller yesterday and potted it up this morning. I definitely noticed that its leaves appeared to be darker and its new foliage was much redder than the growth on the plant I'd gotten earlier. Hopefully it's the right one this time, and thanks to everyone who posted! :)

• MelLovesRoses
    10 years ago

Your pink rose is pretty, but I don't think it is Scentsational. Mine (I have three planted in different years) are all mauve, although usually they are lighter than Bob's. Never have I had one I would describe as pink. And as it opens more, the scent is more pronounced. The leaves are way too light in color as well. After looking at the Two Sisters website, I would guess they maybe had a mix-up with maybe Peaches and Cream or one of their others.

• gardenInTheSky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My new plant has bloomed! It's been pretty hot here so I've been keeping it in the shade. Perhaps as a consequence of that, the blooms weren't purple looking either, but it had a very strong, sweet scent that reminded me of baby powder.

Sponsored