Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dr. John Dickman's

Posted by jont1 Midwest 5b/6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 0:24

I just want to hear from some others with Dr. John Dickman roses about how big they get for you. I live in northwest Missouri zone 6a.
I have two of them. The first one I bought is now in it's third year and looks to be copying it's performance of last year. I honestly tell you that my DJD bush got over 6' tall. I am 6'2" and it was to the top of my head last year and it bloomed like crazy. I had heard that it was a stingy bloomer as well but I found that to be untrue. I counted over 35 blooms on it several times last year. This Spring it looks to be a repeat of last year as it is already over 3' tall and loaded with nice buds.
My other is starting it's second year in my garden this year and it is already about 2 1/2' tall already. I think it is going to copycat the other one.
I got both of these from Bridges, so they are own root and not on any understock. They are just naturally big of their own accord and apparently love where they are at and what I do to them. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dr. John Dickman's

I didn't prune it this year, I wanted to see what it would do. It must like you very much. Mine is also 3 years in the ground. It is about 3.5' tall. Not a great bloomer, but those sparse blooms are beautiful. It might be competing heavily with the big Incognito on one side and the big Olympic Gold on the other side. I'll baby it a little more this year.

o

Mine is also a tall plant. Last fall it was over 5' This spring it is over 2' already.

o

And it still hasn't bloomed, even though all of the other established minis are putting on a really good show. Sigh.

o

I'm on my third Dr JD and it's been in the ground about 1 1/2 years. It's 24" tall, gets lightly pruned and is expected to get bigger within the coming year. I learned to stick it back in the bed where it gets shaded by other roses. The leaves will get some direct sun but the roots stay shaded. This rose needs to be mulched, IMO.

jont1, I'm from NWMO and will be back over the 4th. I always stop at the Laura Conyers rose garden and the Krug Park garden. LC was where I saw Marmalade Skies in full bloom and HAD to order it before it got to the nurseries.

o

As a side note, I bought a Memphis Blues this year and when it bloomed it looks just like Dr. John Dikeman!

o

I have to apologize to my plant. After being buried under Excellenz von Schubert, it came through with 15 - 20 blooms. Much better than in previous years. in the 3' tall range. Hope it does as well in time for the fall shows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here