Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a climbing mini suggestion

Posted by goatster 7bGa (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 7:41

I am new to minis. I bought one on impulse last year at Walley World and this year it is a mass of blooms. I love it. I think I want/need more LOL. I was thinking about a mini rose for my front porch. I have looked at Rainbow's End. Could you all send some pics my way of your climbing mini and tell me how tall it gets, if it is BS and PM resistent and if it does well in the South? Also a great place to buy it online. I actually need 2 one for a trellis which is about 8' and one for my front porch post which is at least 10' Thanks for any photos you can provide. Sharon in Georgia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a climbing mini suggestion

Here is climbing Candy Cane (pink on brass trells, next to white tree rose), which I love. I can't speak to disease. We usually have hot dry weather so no blackspot to speak of, except for rainy springs. See the link for a closeup.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy little faces

o

WOW that is beautiful. CAndy Cane is a mini? I would have never guessed. What is the thorns like on it. It would do great on my trellis. I need something that I can sort of "wrap" around my porch post. Are the canes flexible? I LOVE it.

o

• Posted by BecR zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 05 at 2:32

Beautiful! I too am looking for a smallish climber for a trellis set in a window box. Does candy cane have a nice scent? What is the pink rose in the planter next to candy cane? Becky

o

This is my climbing Rainbow's End.

This is S.W.A.L.K. (Sealed With A Loving Kiss). It is younger than the Cl. Rainbow's End and is just now really starting to take off. I have tried to get a good picture of this rose but haven't managed it yet.

Dana

o

Wow Rainbow's End is awesome. Do you often stop and ask you what that rose is!! I had NO idea mini's got that big. I always thought of them as tiny little one foot plants. The canes on S.W.A.L.K. appear to be more flexible and would work on a post or pillar. I am still debating, mini climber or clematis for the post but what could possibly be wrong with doing both :)

Thanks for the pictures, really enjoyed them.

o

Does anyone know what rootstock is used for climbing minis?
Is Fortuniana used?

o

Climbing minis are usually own-root. Johnny Becknel (Calvin Boutte) or K&M Nurseries may have some minis on Fort, I don't know if they have any climbers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here