Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose leaves bleaching or turning purple

Posted by maxine_s 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:01

About two weeks ago I repotted a supermarket miniature rose (a red Kordana) into 4 separate pots, one for each plant. They looked much happier and starting growing new leaves, but now, some of the growth is starting to look a little strange.

The leaves on top of the plant are turning white - but it's not like mildew, more like the leaves themselves are bleached. The edges of the leaves are a dark purple. Some of the oldest growth is also starting to curl up. I gave them a little fertilizer a few days ago but I can't tell if it's helping.

Has anyone seen something like this before? You can see the effect on the upper leaves in the photo, compared to the leaves on the bottom of the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose leaves bleaching or turning purple

Posted by maxine_s 7 (My Page) on Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:01

I have the same kind of mini-rose. If the tip growth dried up, then the top level of the rose may be abandoned by the plant. The leaves will turn this color and dry up eventually.

In my case, I over fertilized my plant, it has the same appearance. I will post a picture in the other thread of mine.

o

Very strange - I'm pretty sure the new potting soil I used didn't have any fertilizer, but I threw out the bag since then. :(

o

Also, thank you for the picture in your other thread. The bleaching does look similar.

We just had two days of pouring rain. I checked on all four of the little plants and they suddenly all look fantastic - the leaves greened back up practically overnight. I'm even more baffled by what the problem was. Maybe it was due to the fertilizer granules soaking in, or maybe it was due to washing it all out...

o

Posted by maxine_s none (My Page) on Thu, May 9, 13 at 8:29
Wonderful. Sharing experience among people who love the same plant is just as great as gardening itself!

o

I would suggest that the sun is bleaching the leaves and usually the new growth is red purple whatever and will turn green. especially if the leaves were on the plant when set outdoors. the Sun . nothing to worry about will grow new leaves. :>)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here