joyce_d

Memphis Music

Joyce_d
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the Mini rose Memphis Music. Thanks

Comments (11)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Joyce, it's not showing up on Helpmefind.com, I'll check the Combined Rose List this evening to see who might have it.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

It's not listed in the CRL either. The only other choice would be to go over to the Rose Propagation forum, check on the "Exchanges" link and post a WANTED listing.

• Glenn
    18 years ago

Joyce,
    Are you still looking for Memphis Music? Whit Wells, the hybridizer, sells roses from his nursery, Wells Mid-South Roses. His phone number is (901) 476-6064. He also has Louisville Lady, a deep pink mini-flora, and Memphis King, a dark red mini-flora. Where did you see or hear about Memphis Music? Glenn

• den123
    18 years ago

I have Memphis Music I got it from cool roses there phone number is in the ars magazine it is dark red with strips of yellow i love it great mini

• cgm707_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I saw this rose at the San Diego County Fair and it is just gorgeous. Anyone know of a website that sells it? Is it just available as a miniature?

Thanks.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Almost Heaven Roses has it listed, but check if they still have it in stock.

Memphis Music is a miniature. Moore's Roses usually carries Abracadabra and Hocus Pocus, two hybrid teas that have similar coloring as MM, but Moore's has stopped shipping for the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost Heaven Roses

• mdseagull
    16 years ago

Two Sisters Roses has it as well. It is on my wish list for the future!

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Sisters Roses

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest Two Sisters Roses, as well. I bought mine from Almost Heaven. BUT... they've told me they are no longer going to sell it, because its a very unstable sport of Memphis Magic. That means, when they propagate, there's no telling whether or not the new plants will actually have the distinctive striping. Almost Heaven has received some complaints from customers as a result and no longer wants to mess with it. Better order from Two Sisters while they're still willing to deal with it. Mine, by the way, did not turn out right. It has no stripes. It's not exactly a reversion to Memphis Magic, however, since the petals have a pale parchment colored reverse. At least, the roses are still beautiful and last just as long (easily 2 weeks or more) on the bush or cut as do Memphis Music or Memphis Magic. Still that deep black cherry color. Almost Heaven was good about it, by the way. When I called to report the blooms had no stripes, they offered me a refund or credit.

There's something about striped sports; they're almost always unstable, it seems. I had similar experience trying to buy Careless Love, a variably striped sport from the Radiance line. Mine was solid shell-pink. And I've heard that Hocus Pocus also is notoriously unstable. I guess you can hedge your bets by ordering 2 or 3 at a time.

Mike

• studaddy
    16 years ago

I bought mine from Whit's greenhouse and picked one that was blooming with the stripe. I know he has said that it has a chance of reverting back. If that happens, I'll just have another Memphis Magic. That's not too bad...

• floridaarkansan
    16 years ago

Whit Wells is an outstanding hybridizer. When he was looking for a name for Memphis Music he first thought of "Halfbreed" because of the coloration. Robbie Tucker of Rosemania told him that the name "Halfbreed" would not sell. He had one initially that was half red and half yellow, thus the initial name of "Halfbreed."

I was recently at his greenhouse and he has a number of seedlings that look very good. You will get good miniatures as well as other roses from Whit. He usually field tests at least three years before moving on in the process.

• floridaarkansan
    16 years ago

I bought Memphis Music in March. It has taken until just recently to have much growth. Now the bush is putting out 10-12 blooms each cycle. They will last quite a long time on the bush. It is much like Memphis King in that respect. When you get a really striking multicolored bloom it is spectacular.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?