Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Which mini to plant in Texas sun?

rocks911
13 years ago

I live in Dallas and am wanting to plant miniarature roses outside in a bed. The bed is about a foot and a half wide and about twenty five feet long. I dont think I want a standard rose bush because the bed is so narrow, and because its next to a walkway and I didnt want friends and family getting stuck with thorns so I figured a mini would do great.

The exposure is West so the bed gets afternoon intense sun, in Texas, so is there a specific species of mini roses that would work best?

My wife planted a mini rose in the bed last year and although it hasnt lived through a summer yet it's looking pretty good. The mini she planted was a gift and it was purchased at Home Depot I think. It was very small, the kind you put next to your kitchen sink for example which is where it was until it started to fade so she planted it. I would like a whole bed of them but cant find them.

I have three trellis's and would like three climbing miniaratures for those areas of the bed and just regular mini's for the rest of the bed.

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

Rec Cascade is hard to kill. Cl. Jackie does well. Stars and Stripes,
    Angel Pink
    Climbing Baby Darling
    Earthquake, Cl.
    Firefall
    Golden Century
    Hi Ho
    Little Girl
    Magic Dragon
    Magic Wand
    Orchid Jubilee
    Pennies From Heaven
    Red Wand
    Work of Art
    Most of those will do well, I am guessing?
    They do good in Tampa Bay that is what I can suggest as far as climbing minis. Sorry, I do not have more. As for minis .... what color scheme do you want? I can hopefully give you answers with a little more info.
    Andrew

• rocks911
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply lookin4you,

The color scheme I'm looking for is a wall of red. I looked at pictures on the internet of the various recommendations you gave and liked the Magic Dragon.

Just as important as color and resistance to disease and pests is my need for the plant to be somewhat compact. That may seem inconsistent with wanting a climber but in that category I would like someting that will not necessarily take over. Previously on the wall I had trumpet vine and it was uncontrollable, so something slow growing and compact yet a climber is what I want/need. It must not project from the wall much more than about 20" because then it is in the walkway, make sense? And maybe this is not the plant for me but I would like roses. I just know that I dont want another planting mistake, something that in a couple of years I'll just have to rip out.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

Chamblees Roses in Tyler has minis - you can order from them, they are an excellent supplier. Also Kimbrew Walter Mini Roses in near Tyler....they are low on inventory now [I just called] but should have more by June 1. I plan to make a trip there. I dont think he ships to individuals, but he takes them to Dallas to sell, dont know where, but you could ask him. Chamblees is well worth the drive to see their beautiful roses - and they have some minis in their sale bin too. Red Hearts is one of my favorites - it is a polyantha I think, but stays small and blooms lots.

• dallascarlos
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I live in Dallas as well, currently I have several Victory Rose mini that are doing well and a Peggy Martin, which is not a mini but has small flower and likes to climb. You can see some pictures at http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/1813354768.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Victory Rose

• jmac_2008
    13 years ago

I hope this helps because we have the same killer sun in the Texas panhandle.
    Liberty Bell, Autumn Splendor (a blooming fool), Glowing Amber (another prolific bloomer), Winsome, Pacific Serenade, Behold, Deja Blu, Memphis King, Hope and Joy, Denver Dream, Amy Grant (hit its stride in 3rd year, Hot Tamale, and Biola Centennial have done well despite all-day baking.
    First Impression makes wonderful large yellow blooms, but I will transplant it to give it some relief--the many petaled blooms turn to white fluffy balls resembling toilet paper after a few days of full blazing sun.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022