Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose changed colors on me!

Posted by AngelBuck z9 LA (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 05 at 10:31

I ordered a miniflora, Fontana, from Bridges. When I received my roses Fontana had two blooms. They were an apricot and light pink in color. I just had another bud open up and the rose is yellow!? Do roses do this sometimes? If not, what causes this? I have no idea what's going on here. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose changed colors on me!

Fontana will throw blooms of any color it pleases from time to time. It usually opens apricot but turns pink as it ages. But, check the pot to see if there is more than one plant. Also, it might be what is called a "sport", that's when a stem of a rose blooms in a different color (not a sucker from a rootstock, your minis are own root so that's not an issue). If that stem continues to produce yellow blooms, you can try to propagate it to see if it is stable.

o
Stable

Propagate meaning to take a cutting from the stem with the yellow flower, root it, and if the rooting takes hold, see if the blooms from the cutting are also yellow. That's what I meant by "stable".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here