Return to the Miniature Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will it take for miniature and minifloras

Posted by AngelBuck z9 LA (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 05 at 10:43

How long does it take for miniature roses and minifloras to mature into little bushes? Does it take years, months? I only have a couple of them in little pots right now and It's hard to imagine that they will be three feet wide and almost three feet tall. They are so small right now. I can't wait to see them grow and bloom. Thank you guys again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will it take for miniature and minifloras

Two years should bring you near-fully matured specimens. All roses, regardless of size or type, take at least two years to develop to their full size.

o

I put in own-root ones last spring, all in pots, and most of them did
not do much. This year they are really taking off and I have potted them all up into much bigger containers. I expect they will
have to go into the ground by fall. I'm in San Diego, so I would
expect yours will really start to make a statement next spring in
LA.

o

I think your comment that they are in 'little' pots is the key.
I would suggest moving them to larger pots to prevent them from becoming root bound.
A plant won't put out much top growth if it doesn't have the root system to support it.
Don't move them too a very large pot suddenly as this will come with several other problems of being over watered.
Usually you move a potted plant up 1"-2" in size. Moving it to a much larger pot will surround the plant with very wet soil that will reduce the amount of oxygen around the roots.
In your area, your minis should flourish amazingly. Also consider using plastic pots rather than clay pots as these dry out too quickly outside, and you need to keep the roots moist. Allowing a mini to dry out completely will kill it quicker than most diseases.
Meg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Miniature Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here