Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

How short can I prune minis?

joannemb
11 years ago

I have some dwarf candytuft (gets about 8 inches tall) planted, and I'd like to put some green ice mini roses in front of them. The candytuft blooms in late April/ early May before the green ice bloom.

If I follow this advice: "As with other roses, prune miniature roses just before new growth starts in late winter or early spring. Hard pruning is not necessary. Prune dead or broken wood first. Then trim back about a third of the plant to maintain its shape and encourage new growth." Then, even though the green ice roses get about a foot tall when mature, I'm thinking that I would prune the green ice roses in March (before buds have formed) which will keep them short long enough for the candytuft to bloom the next month, and then let the roses grow taller than the candytuft all summer (hiding the less attractive foliage of the candytuft.)

So if I prune back 1/3 of the plant (and they get to be about 12 inches tall when mature) then I should be able to prune them to about 8 inches (taking off about 4.) Some sites say they get to be 18 inches mature though....which would mean I'd have to prune them to 6 inches.... just wondering if that is too much in late winter/early spring?

I'm a beginner, and although I have green ice roses, (planted last year) I didn't touch them this year because I felt they might be too young. So being inexperienced with pruning, would you say I could prune them in March leaving the plants about 6 inchs tall? Or is that too much to prune back each year? Thanks so much for your insight!

Joanne

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert