Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

got a rose plant

jollyrd
13 years ago

Ok, so I never wanted to have any roses in my garden, I prefer cut flowers over roses and all I know about roses is that they get sick a lot and demand lots of attention. BUT I got a potted rose plant from work colleagues - a "thank you" token, so I have to take care of it. In my mind I was hoping it would just die, but I still took it home, put it in 1 gallon pot, with good soil, nutrients, etc. Put it in front porch bed in the pot - it gets full sun from early morning till about 1-1:30 pm; porch faces east. The blooms were dark purple color sort of. Most soil is clay in the garden, so I need to know if it can go into clay with little compost or not? It looks pretty healthy, just cut the flowers that bloomed. The label says it gets 2x2 ft in size. So, I never researched about roses. Please tell me:

- what this plant needs

- where is a good place to plant

- will it survive cold winters (we had snow and below freezing at nights for last two winters)

- how much water does it need

- how to fertilize it

Thank you

Comments (5)

• madisonwigardener
    13 years ago

Hi from Debbie in the midwest... -- so, here we are on your rose adventure! Do you know what kind of rose it is? I know many people know lots more than I do about roses, but I will tell you that what I've done is the following: a mixture of the dirt you have, 1/3 compost, and 1/3 peat moss is a good idea. Dig a hole much larger than your rose, and use this mixture to plant. When I plant anything, I also use root stimulator to give it a good start.

Also, roses do well with a systemic -- it can be powder or liquid applied at the base of the rose, and it provides both plant foot and insect/disease control. That's what I use. You can find it at any garden store. I never had roses either until I discovered miniature roses. They are so wonderful that I have changed and now have lots! They bloom all the time, do not have to have an entirely full day of sun, and this spring in zone 5, were growing unbelievably fast in early spring. So give it a try! I think your several hours of sun that you have the rose now is good. I am sure many will have more ideas to help you out. Send a photo of the flower when it blooms again! good luck, Debbie

• jollyrd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I dont know the type or the exact name of the rose, it is what's written on the label - Victory Rose, Rosa Hybrid. The flowers were deep purple color

• simcan
    13 years ago

I have the same rose (well, same tag, anyway) and I have no idea if it is hardy in my zone or not. That said, only one way to find out. I am planting mine tomorrow in a sheltered and sunny spot and winter protecting (first year only, especially not a hassle for such a small plant) and will let you know.

• phil_schorr
    13 years ago

Don't worry too much about winter problems. If you will put a mound of mulch up around the base of the plant after you have a hard freeze or two, making the mound just a few inches high, your rose should come through the winter with no major problems. Don't get in a hurry to remove the mound in the spring. Wait until you are past the average date of the last freeze in your area, then you can pull most of the mulch off the base of the plant and spread it around the ground near the plant to keep the roots cool and help hold the moisture.

• passionforroses101
    13 years ago

There is probably more than one rose in that pot, try to seperate them.