Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmiah22

Mini roses...leaves turning yellow

jmiah22
15 years ago

I got my mother three miniature roses for mothers day, and on two of the plants the leaves at the bottom are turning yellow. They sit on an eastern window sill every morning so I am pretty sure they are getting adequate lighting. How moist should the soil be...the soil is kind of spongy and when I push on it with my finger, it makes the top of my finger wet and shiny. Could this be an over watering problem? I tried to read the "How to save a potted rose" but it says the page cannot be found.

Comments (4)

• ChiGardener
    15 years ago

I want to say that it is overwatering and to let them go without a watering for a couple to maybe even 7 days. However, I'm going by what happened to my regular roses planted in my garden the first year I planted them in '05 and I was on here in a panic!

The bottom leaves yellowed and fell off within a day because I was giving too much water. I thought it was because I'd sprayed too much Neem oil spray mix on for blackspot.

Right now my 4 are in a west window and they've gone from yellow, drying, and falling off or me pulling them off to the stems going limp from not enough water now. So I just watered them well today and we'll see what happens. However, I think I'll either re-pot them in a non fertilized soil or just plant them in the ground or a large planter when I get a chance.

Good luck with your babies!

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

I would say Too much water is doing it.let them dry out a few days.

Jean

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

It is too wet, soil should be moist, not sopping wet.

It isn't getting enough sunlight. They really want to be outdoors, not inside. Why can't a Mini Parade Rose be grown indoors?.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to save a potted gift rose

• ChiGardener
    15 years ago

My minis are growing new shoots . . . however I think they were still growing even though the soil was too wet. I'm hoping I'll be seeing new buds that won't be either eaten by the mystery bug or hit with a ball being tossed around by my toddler. Eventually I'll put the 4 in the window. . .and the 2 new ones I bought again (I'm turning into a junkie!) out and into the ground.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living