Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_n_my_garden

Is it okay to spray fungicide every 3 days

love_n_my_garden
17 years ago

I love my miniature rose bushes but have very active aphids and black spot and yellowing. I use 2 different fungicides and insecticide (combo) and alternate them every other week. The aphids are easily controlled but the disease is troublesome.

My questions is..Is it okay to spray them every three days and after every time it rains??

I lost one bush earlier this year but I have 2 doing okay. I am careful not to cross-contaminate. I pick off the infected leaves but seem to get 3-10 new infected (yellowing with brown spots mostly) leaves every other day.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• Kentucky_Lad
    17 years ago

Yes it will be OK to spray your roses every 3 days. It is the only way to get rid of Blackspot once it has raised it's ugly head. You should use Manzate or Mancozeb every 3 days for 3 times. They are contact killers of the spores of black spot. Howard

• User
    17 years ago

If you are using something like Banner Maxx, using it every 3 days will seriously stunt the roses, or worse. Using more often than directions state will not improve your chances of eliminating disease.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Please spray according to the directions on the package. As advised already, using it more often can cause more harm than good.

Also be advised that fungicides don't kill fungus. They protect plants from getting fungus so all infected leaves should be removed and destroyed, they will never be cured.

• Kathy
    17 years ago

The spray interval depends on what you're spraying. Mancozeb (a contact-killer which -will- kill the BS spores)should be sprayed every three days for three intervals (or four intervals, if you have a bad infection). After that, you need to switch to a systemic, like Immunox (not Immunox Plus, which contains an insecticide -- only spray insecticide if there's a specific need) or Bayer Advanced Disease Control. Depending on the severity of the infection and your climate, you can spray these every 7-14 days (we're in northern NJ -- aka blackspot hell -- and spray on a 10-day interval). You might want to add something like Response to the spray -- this is a seaweed derivative and it helps transport the fungicide into the tissues of the plant -- it also gives the roses a boost of nutrient.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

If you have blackspot there is only one fungicide which will kill it after spraying it 2 to 3 times every 5 to 6 days.

I have tried many different fungicides and "Daconil 2787" is the one I use now. It's made by ORTHO and has a new name now : "ORTHO GARDEN DISEASE CONTROL" I just got a new 1 pint bottle at Home Depot for about 15 dollars.

Also, I have over 300 roses and only spray those right away which show a little blackspot and a few next to it. I use this for about 15 years and "IT'S THE BEST"

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Excellence

Sponsored