Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkaye_gw

Have I made it worse? Planted Sweet Chariot outside

lkaye
16 years ago

I was intrigued with having minature roses in pots on my open porch. Sweet Chariot was my hearts desire and she spent the first year in a 12" pot before I learned that was too small. The next year she got planted up in a 24" pot. She spent the summer on the west end of my porch and was gorgeous! Beautiful foliage, no blackspot, deep mauvy lavender flowers and wonderful scent. Last year she got too big, became a nuisance trying to get around on the porch and was moved to the courtyard between buildings in full sun. She didn't like it and sulked, got blackspot and needed constant watering and didn't have the fragrance or color of flowers she had in part sun. This year she came out of the winter storage building a vision of good health and flushed to a huge 3 ft tall by 4 ft wide! But now she is in a steady decline. She has had a foliar spray/drench of fish and kelp and a top dressing of Rosetone in April. She was sprayed with fungicide for blackspot same rate as last year and within a day almost all her leaves have turned yellow. The flowers are tiny, deformed and very light pink/white. I made a last ditch effort to save her and put her outside in a prepared hole that was for another rose. I watered her deeply and am keeping my fingers crossed as it is 90 deg here already - not really the time to be planting out roses anymore. I have two other minatures in pots new this year. Sun Sprinkles looks like it is going to be a giant and I am thinking of putting it in the ground now before something happens to it. I will keep Stars and Stripes in the pot for now as I am out of space. Am I doing the right thing?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor