Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djulian_gw

Leaves on mini are white spots, almost see through

Djulian
18 years ago

I have two mini roses, both have mildew, one had tiny green worms and both have spots that are almost see thru, like something is taking out the color of the leaf. The buds are dying before full bloom. I cut off the leaves the green worms ate, and cut off the mildew. I understand to only water the dirt (to prevent the mildew) but the Discolored leaves are a mystery to me? I am going to the store today to get a soil tester. But right now I am at a loss! Help! D

Comments (6)

• msrose
    18 years ago

Could be Sawfly Larvae. I've had them a few times and was able to just squish them (I know it sounds nasty) and get rid of them but if you have a lot you may need to spray. Maybe someone can comment on the best spray to use.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:277135}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Slugs/snails will leave the "see through" area on leaves you describe. I have a lot of slugs around here, but usually they don't bother my roses. However if they were confined to a container with nothing else to munch on, I'm sure they would do a number on them. As for cutting off the leaves the worms ate, outside of appearance, that really wasn't necessary. The more green foliage you have(even if it's tattered) the better. Powdery Mildew is something else. It usually attacks new, tender growth and some roses are more prone to it then others. You can do some things to curtail it culturally, but even if you do everything right, some roses will get it regardless. Here are some cultural hints on preventing P.M.: Good air circulation around the bushes is very important. Also make sure the roses are not allowed to dry out. In experiments, roses subjected to drought were more prone to attacks of P.M. There are spray materials you can use to help you with all of insect/fungus problems. It just depends on whether you care to use them.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

For slugs try Sluggo. But in my experience slugs leave holes, not light spots. That sounds more like insect damage and for that you need an insecticide. You might want to try neem oil which is organic and will help with the mildew as well. Otherwise any rose spray will do the trick. Get the pre-mixed kind in a spray bottle.

• bubbledragon
    18 years ago

I've got a lot of that, too, but can't spot the caterpillars or slugs in order to squish them. So I'll trust the above poster and leave the holey leaves on to make what food they can. ;o) Maybe if I find it becoming more of a problem, I'll try the neem oil. Will this ever be a devastating problem?

• Djulian
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found them! They are little tiny green worms! They have eaten the top layer of leaf, which leaves the skin I guess! Not sure what kind of spray to use. Thank you all for your input!

• red_dragonfly
    18 years ago

I tried last year a spray for catterpillars - doesn't work on these guys. I got rid of them this year though with Orthene. This hungry creatures ate most of the leaves on my minis :( Not much fun to see only flowers with skeletons of branches. It's been about three weeks by now and my roses are recovering very fast.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations