Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shonda_gw

Newbie with tons of questions

shonda
18 years ago

Well I'm not completely new to miniatures. I got one in November and when I got it there were four plants in one small 4" pot. I never seen a bloom. They'd begin to bloom and wouldn't open. Of the four in my pot only one survived the winter indoors and I've just planted it in a larger pot. It has a new bloom about to open...I may actually get to see what colour it is. Anyway, my daughter just bought me another miniature for mother's day. It's a supermarket mini and so I don't know what kind it is. It has red and yellow blooms. Anyway, there are four plants in a 6" pot. I want to plant them outdoors but I want to put them in planters for at least this year. I'm in zone 5a and there is still risk of frost here for a while. What size planters should I use? How many of the four plants should I put in each planter? What kind of soil should I use? When do I put them in the planters (there are several buds about to open right now)? How often should I fertilize them and what kind of fertilizer should I use? I'm so new to this. I know absolutely nothing. Please help!

Comments (10)

• User
    18 years ago

Shonda,
    Please see the article at the link provided below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caring for Miniature Roses

• rilie
    18 years ago

Shonda, the only thing I can think to add is that mini roses don't like the heat indoors. I received one from my mom for Valentine's day, and I left it in my semi-heated sunporch. It's doing beautifully, and I will start to climatize it to the outdoors soon. My sister tried to keep hers in the living room, and it's long gone.

I probably won't leave it out overnight until the danger of hard frost is past. Alot of minis will survive zone 5 winters in the ground - I've grown quite a few for several years. Each year I lose one or two, but I'm weeding out the ones that aren't hardy. I suspect they would do better in the ground during the winter than in a pot, unless you plan to move them into an unheated garage or shed. It's difficult to say, since you don't know the variety/name of your roses.

Have fun -
    Stephanie

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Are you still there Shonda or are all your questions answered?

• shonda
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm still here Maryl. I guess most of my questions have been answered. I'm still not sure when I should separate the different plants that came in my pot or the safest way for the plant for me to do it. I looked again and there are 5 not 4. I've read many other posts looking for similar questions and I know I really should separate them. I guess I'm just afraid to kill my mini if I try to do it. I don't have much of a green thumb. I did notice that you can get Miracle Gro for Roses and I was wondering if that was good for minis and how much to use if I do keep them in a large planter outside? I really want to learn how to do all this the right way. If I can make my grocery store mini flourish I'd like to begin buying some really nice ones from suppliers. I fell in love with miniature roses the first time I spied them about 8 years ago.

• rilie
    18 years ago

Hi Shonda -

Have you seen this post? It's on this page somewhere.... Lots of good information there.

Stephanie

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Save a potted mini

• shonda
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Stephanie. I had seen the post but I guess I just skimmed through it and missed a lot. I'm going to let the buds finish blooming and then I'll separate them and repot them. I guess I'll need to find 5 decent size pots for them now.

• diospyros4luna
    18 years ago

If I can make my grocery store mini flourish I'd like to begin buying some really nice ones from suppliers.

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that a lot of the time the grocery store and florist minis aren't as hardy and easy to keep as a lot of the named varieties. Grocery and florist minis are usually kept in a very pampered environment and then forced to bloom heavily so that they will sell well, which can stress the plant. The nurseries that raise them can afford to artificially heat the plant's environment and use lots of chemicals to keep them looking nice so they don't focus on choosing plants that are known for being hardy and healthy. So if you have trouble with the grocery ones, don't give up yet! Look at catalog descriptions to see if they say things like "vigorous", "healthy foliage", or "disease resistant" when you are picking your plants and you should have good luck with them. :)

• shonda
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice diospyros4luna. Hopefully my grocery store minis will thrive but if not I won't lose hope. Eventually I plan to take your advice and check some catalogues for more resilient minis for my zone and I'll probably check back here too for suggestions and advice. Thanks

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

Mini roses in pots can take a little frost. I have one in a hanging basket and I left it hanging outside when the temps got below 32F. I'd bring them in if it gets below 28F overnight and take it back outside in full sun in the morning.

• suzabad
    18 years ago

I have had a lot of luck with my grocery store minis. They bloomed as prolifically as my roses from Nor East or Uncommon Rose (two good quality mail/internet order suppliers).

The key is to separate them out, and pamper them a little until they get established.

You look like you live in an area where it is still a bit chilly. So it might be a good idea to bring them in at night and place them out during the day until you have night temps in the 60s. It will also do good, if it gets hot during the days, to slowly acclimate them up to full sun. I usually leave them in partial sun (maybe half day) for about a week after potting up, to give them a chance to recoup.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals